|We are excited to bring you the April issue of ISPOR News Across Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) and share with you new developments at ISPOR and the Global Networks in the EMEA region. The ISPOR 2018 is only a month away and valuable learning, information-sharing, and networking opportunities are awaiting ISPOR members from around the globe. We are looking forward to engaging discussions at the Global Networks members meetings and the newly launched ISPOR Chapter Leadership Training workshop. The much-anticipated program for the upcoming ISPOR Dubai 2018 has just been released and registration is now open. Those who attend this first ISPOR regional conference in the Middle East will have an opportunity to connect with HEOR experts and engage in discussions with key stakeholders and leaders in the MENA region.
In this issue, we continue to bring you the latest news and relevant highlights from the ISPOR EMEA Global Region. You will learn about ISPOR Regional Chapters educational activities, annual conferences, EMEA Global Groups’ accomplishments and cooperation opportunities.
As we continue to develop our newsletter, we welcome your contribution and your feedback – please contact us at EMEA@ispor.org.
We hope you enjoy this issue – please feel free to share it with your colleagues! We look forward to seeing you at ISPOR upcoming events and your continuous participation in our organization!
ISPOR EMEA AT ISPOR 2018 IN BALTIMORE!
The conference program features nearly 2100 presentations and offers scientific topics on, eg, modeling, patient reported outcomes (PROs), health technology assessment (HTA), and more. It is a great opportunity to present your work, collaborate and network with regional and international colleagues in the field, and hear about innovative research methods and new health policy developments.
- Stay up to date on global trends in medical technology development, health technology assessment, and policy and clinical decision making while exploring the theme Real-World Evidence, Digital Health, and the New Landscape for Health Decision Making.
- There are 37 ISPOR short courses to choose from, including nine new courses.
- Network with student members worldwide at roundtables, showcases, receptions, and more.
- Engage in discussion and collaborate with members from Chapters, Networks, and Consortium in your region and across ISPOR Global regions (EMEA, Latin America, Asia-Pacific).
- Attend your Network/Consortium Members Meeting:
ISPOR CEE Consortium Members, Monday, May 21 at 7:15am-8:15am
ISPOR Africa Network Members, Monday, May 21 at 12:15pm-1:45pm
ISPOR Arabic Network Members, Tuesday, May 22 at 12:15pm-1:45pm
RSVP is requested by April 10 (send your RSVP to EMEA@ispor.org)
- If you are a Chapter leader, strengthen your skills in managing and leading the development of ISPOR Chapters by attending the inaugural ISPOR Chapter Leadership Training workshop on Monday, May 21 at 5:15pm. Prior confirmation of participation is requested by April 16 (send your RSVP to EMEA@ispor.org)
- Learn how members of the ISPOR Global Networks benefit from and contribute to ISPOR, and find out how you can also get involved in ISPOR Regional Groups at the ISPOR Global Networks Reception on Monday, May 21 at 7:30pm.
- Join your ISPOR peers at the Social Event on Tuesday, May 22 at 9:00pm. Separate registration is required.
For questions about EMEA activities or to RSVP to meetings and training workshop, please contact EMEA@ispor.org. For conference program details visit ISPOR 2018.
ISPOR DUBAI 2018
Registration is now open for ISPOR’s first regional conference in the Middle East Healthcare Decision-Making in the Middle East and North Africa: Role of Health Economics, Outcomes Research and Health Technology Assessment. Aware of the rapid growth in the health care sector in the region, ISPOR is offering unique educational and information-sharing opportunities to address issues of effective healthcare decision-making to improve patient access to effective and innovative technologies in the MENA region. The event will run September 19-20, 2018 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and is organized with the involvement from the ISPOR Arabic Network. Since 2011, the ISPOR Arabic Network has been advancing the HEOR science and its use in healthcare decisions in the Middle East region. It currently brings together eight ISPOR Regional Chapters from the Middle East and North Africa and connects over 400 members.
- Educational seminars on Introduction to Health Economics and HTA
- Presentations on topics, such as: Pricing and Reimbursement: Challenges and Opportunities, the Role of HEOR in Decision Making: Global Knowledge for Local Application, Improving Access to Innovative Health Technologies, HTA Implementation Roadmap in MENA
- Sponsored Educational Symposia
- ISPOR Arabic Network Meeting (by invitation only)
- ISPOR HTA Roundtable – MEA (by invitation only)
- Welcome Reception
To register for the meeting, learn about the speakers, and for further program information visit ISPOR Dubai 2018. If you are interested in exhibiting and sponsorship opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn about becoming an ISPOR Dubai 2018 Supporting Institution, please contact EMEA@ispor.org.
USEFUL INFORMATION FROM THE ISPOR EMEA GLOBAL REGION
- Middle East and North Africa: In September 2017, Health Systems Development Department at WHO-EMRO* issued a publication “Strengthening health systems towards universal health coverage” focusing on the Eastern Mediterranean region. It addresses governance and financing, integrated service delivery, health workforce, and essential medicines & technologies aspects to develop strategies to achieve Sustainable Development Goals. The publication was distributed to all countries during WHO-EMRO Annual Regional Committee meeting involving all Ministries of Health in the region in October 2017.
* WHO-EMRO (The WHO Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean) is one of WHO’s 6 regional offices around the world. It serves the WHO Eastern Mediterranean Region, which comprises 21 Member States and Palestine (West Bank and Gaza Strip), with a population of nearly 583 million people.
- Europe: The European Commission published the study “Cross-border cooperation: capitalizing on existing initiatives for cooperation in cross-border regions” that maps EU-funded cooperation projects for the period 2007 to 2017 in EU and EEA countries and Switzerland. It provides insight into opportunities and challenges for cross-border cooperation in healthcare; and offers guidance to local and regional authorities and other parties who are interested in starting a health-related cooperation project. The Study’s findings will provide input into the report on the operation of the Cross-border Healthcare (CBHC) Directive due to be published later in the year.
This and other European Commission-supported/initiated studies addressing issues of cooperation in cross-border healthcare can be found here https://ec.europa.eu/health/cross_border_care/key_documents_en
UPDATES FROM ISPOR GLOBAL NETWORKS – EMEA
- ISPOR Chapter 2017 Annual Reports and Work Plans – thank you to Chapter leadership for complying with ISPOR governance requirements and submitting information about Chapters past year’s activities and accomplishments, and sending us 2018 Chapter Work Plans. All reports are being reviewed, information will be shared with ISPOR Board and uploaded to Regional Chapters webpages on ISPOR website.
- ISPOR Central and Eastern Europe Consortium Research Committee : since 2014 members of the Consortium have been collaborating in a number of research projects: Application of MCDA, Parallel Trade, Burden of Hepatitis C in CEE Countries, Evaluation of Generic and Biosimilar Drug Policies, Policy Approach to Technologies in Rare Diseases, to name a few. To learn more about the ISPOR CEE Consortium research activities please visit ISPOR CEE Consortium.
- ISPOR EMEA Team and ISPOR Global EMEA Groups leaders continue to improve timeliness and effectiveness of the support and information sharing within the EMEA Global Networks. Last year we introduced quarterly meetings of the ISPOR EMEA Global Networks Team with leaders of each of the EMEA Global Groups – CEE Consortium, Arabic Network and Africa Network. Summaries and presentations from the discussions for Q1 of 2018 are available at ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA.
- Plan to attend the ISPOR Europe 2018! Key dates:
Abstract Submission Deadline: 13 June
Travel Grant Application Deadline: 14 August
Early Registration Deadline: 25 September
NEWS FROM REGIONAL CHAPTERS
- ISPOR Serbia Chapter in collaboration with the Croatian Society of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics is organizing the 8th Adriatic and 5th ISPOR Serbia Chapter Congress of the Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research. This event will take place on April 19-22 in Belgrade, Serbia. Presentations will focus on the future of HTA in CEE, implementation of Managed Entry Agreements in the region, equity and equality of patient access to oncology treatment in CEE, as well as other topics.
- ISPOR UAE Chapter held its members meeting on March 13 during which past activities of Chapter’s engagement as well as new projects were discussed. Topics included: draft of UAE Pharmacoeconomic Guidelines, professional development for students and young professionals, and starting an ISPOR Students Chapter.
- ISPOR South Africa Chapter has submitted comments and recommendations to the Department of Health on the review of the South African Guidelines for Pharmacoeconomic Submissions. The guidelines were reviewed by the Chapter Executive Committee and members during a meeting held in February. On April 17, the Chapter is organizing a workshop to discuss: What is new in Evidence-based Medicine? Current Controversies and Contingencies. The event will explore the latest trends and applications of EBM.
- “HTA, The Assessment of Value” was the topic of a summit, organized by the ISPOR Lebanon Chapter on February 23-24 in Beirut, Lebanon. The objective of the event was to outline the fundamentals of what a ‘good’ HTA process looks like, identify principles applicable to structuring and governing HTA organizations and understand key aspects of HTA.
- ISPOR Spain Chapter organized a seminar following the theme of ISPOR recent European Congress: “The Evolution of Value in Health Care”. The event, which took place on February 7 in Madrid, Spain, included presentations on topics such as the new potential funding models for medicines and health products, novel approaches to facilitate access to innovative medicines, and the challenges in front of the new cancer drugs.
- The topic of HTA in Kenya was the focal point of the meeting held on February 6 in Nairobi, Kenya, organized by the ISPOR Kenya Chapter in cooperation with the Kenya Association of Pharmaceutical Industries (KAPI) and Roche Kenya. As a result important stakeholders were identified and the implementation framework for HTA process was proposed as the topic for the next phase of discussions.
ENGAGEMENT OPPORTUNITIES – GET INVOLVED!
- Voting is now open for the 2018-2019 ISPOR Board of Directors. ISPOR members can vote here (with their member login) through May 1, 2018. Information on each of the candidates – including their biographies and vision statements – can be found here.
- ISPOR is looking for individuals interested to update the ISPOR Pharmacoeconomic Guidelines Around the World, a comprehensive collection of available pharmacoeconomic/health economic (PE) guidelines from individual countries, either published PE recommendations, PE guidelines, or submission guidelines. This tool, which offers a comparative table of 33 key features for each country’s/region’s guidelines, is one of the most widely used tools by ISPOR members and the research community at large. If your country has PE guidelines that are not listed on the ISPOR website or if the guidelines listed on the website are out of date, please reach out to email@example.com. All contributors will be acknowledged for their work on the ISPOR PE Guidelines webpage and on the ISPOR social media platforms.
- Are you from the EMEA region and interested in learning more about HEOR and advancing its contribution to the health decision-making in your country? Join ISPOR Regional Chapter in your country and contribute!
- Are you a student in the field of HEOR and have interests and passion for excellence in research? ISPOR offers membership benefits that are valued and essential in your professional growth. To learn more visit ISPOR Student Network
- Submit your country’s specific databases or registries and contribute to ISPOR Digest of International Databases – an electronic index of health care databases around the world, which provides a summary of key attributes
- Join ISPOR Scientific and Health Policy Working Groups
- Submit papers to ISPOR Journals
For more opportunities to engage with ISPOR, please visit www.ispor.org
- ISPOR Updates Its Code of Ethics ISPOR has published the latest version of its Code of Ethics. The document includes new topics, such as a Chapter 7: Patient Centricity and Patient Engagement in Research, as well as an update on traditional topics, such as publication, research design ethics and relationships with sponsors. The code was authored by a geographically representative group of ISPOR members that included healthcare stakeholders from academia, research organizations, commercial entities, and patient organizations. All ISPOR members, regional chapter and consortia members were invited to review and submit comments. This document is published at ISPOR Code of Ethics.
- New ISPOR logo and branding elements are introduced! We invite you to watch the video ”The New ISPOR” that shows how ISPOR’s new logo connects members across borders, disciplines, and professions. ISPOR will be providing its chapters with new ISPOR Chapter logotypes in the coming months.
- ISPOR 2018 TOP 10 HEOR Trends recognizes the most influential topics in the field of HEOR for 2018 – Download now! Share with us your views and insights on which and how ISPOR Global Trends are impacting your region – send us your observations, comments, etc to firstname.lastname@example.org
UPCOMING ISPOR EVENTS:
May 19-23, 2018
Baltimore Convention Center
Baltimore, MD, USA
ISPOR Asia Pacific 2018
8-11 September 2018
ISPOR Dubai 2018
19-20 September 2018
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
ISPOR Europe 2018
10-14 November 2018
Are you involved with ISPOR Chapter in the EMEA region but you are not an ISPOR member yet?
Learn now about the many advantages of being a member of the global collaborative HEOR community –Join ISPOR Now! and become part of it.
As an ISPOR member you will help to promote HEOR excellence and to improve health care decision making around the world. To learn more about ISPOR and membership benefits – view ISPOR’s New Member 101 webinar. For questions contact email@example.com.
- ISPOR Global Fellowship Directory and Global Internship Directory – new and exclusive member benefit! Two new online resources for fellowships and internships for health economics and outcomes researchers. Visit ISPOR Career Center to explore more opportunities in the HEOR field.
About ISPOR Global Networks EMEA
ISPOR Global Networks EMEA represents regional groups affiliated with ISPOR that promote research, development and practice focusing on the advancement of health economics and outcomes research in Europe, Middle East, and Africa through educational, research, and policy-related activities to improve decision making for health. ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA encompasses 2 regional networks: Arabic and Africa, and Central & Eastern Europe Consortium, 42 Regional Chapters and works with close to 5000 members representing research, academia, industry, health care policy makers, regulators, health economists and patients in this global region.
Thank you for your interest in the ISPOR EMEA Global Networks – we hope this issue of News Across Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) provided you with an insight into research, education and networking opportunities in the ISPOR EMEA global groups!
If you would like to learn more about ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA or share information on the HEOR activities in your country please contact us at EMEA@ispor.org
We look forward to hearing from you!
ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA Team