We are delighted to share with you the April 2019 edition of ISPOR News Across EMEA and present the latest activities and initiatives from regional chapters in Europe, Middle East, and Africa, give you updates from ISPOR HQ, and discuss the value of ISPOR membership, where we invite you to join “I am an ISPOR member because …” campaign and share your point of view on why being an ISPOR member matters.
The highlight of this issue is the recently held ISPOR Warsaw 2019 – a regional conference organized by ISPOR on March 27-28 in Warsaw, Poland that focused on health policy-related issues, research, and innovation relevant to the Central and Eastern European (CEE) and broader European audience. The conference gathered nearly 200 people from 34 countries, who had the opportunity to engage in discussions with key health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) stakeholders and leaders in Europe and beyond. The attendees got updates on the latest health-policy issues of joint HTA, procurement and pricing, medical device assessments and health data cooperation efforts in the European region, participated in knowledge-sharing and networking opportunities with the ISPOR member group members from eg, ISPOR Ukraine, ISPOR Poland Chapters, ISPOR CEE Consortium.
We hope you enjoy this edition of ISPOR EMEA newsletter and share it with your Chapter members and colleagues!
As always, we welcome your contribution and your feedback, as well as questions about ISPOR – you may contact us at email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you at ISPOR’s upcoming events and your continuous participation in our organization!
ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA Team
ISSUE HIGHLIGHT – ISPOR WARSAW 2019
- Multi-stakeholder perspectives from industry, policy making, regulation, medical profession, research, academia and relevant national medical/health economics societies.
- Four sessions on “Aligning Evidence Requirements for Drug Authorization and Coverage – Central and Eastern European (CEE) Countries Insights,” “Health Data, Health Data, and More Health Data: From Quantity to Quality Through Cooperation,” “Medical Device Assessment and Procurement – Fair and Efficient Access in Countries with Limited Health Budgets,” and “How Far Can We Go? Finding a Common Way in Clinical Evaluation, Data Generation, and Joint Procurement and Pricing Negotiations.” Presentations available
(Maggie Galbraith presenting in session 1 on drug authorization)
- Three educational symposia on: “Improving Patient Access to Innovative Cancer Therapies: The Role of Managed Entry Agreements,” “The implementation of sustainable biosimilar policies to increase access to biological medicines in CEE countries,” “Multi-disciplinary approaches to address the unmet need in schizophrenia.” Presentations available
- ISPOR Ukraine and ISPOR Poland Chapter meetings – addressed local HTA implementation and reimbursement, as well as capacity building in HEOR. Presentations and summaries will be made available on the Chapter webpages.
(Roman Ilyk, Deputy Minister of Health of Ukraine discussing national drug policy in Ukraine)
- ISPOR CEE Consortium meeting – discussed education and research projects developed by the Consortium and provided updates on Chapters regional activities. Topic on patient engagement in the HTA and procurement activities in the CEE region was presented. The summary of discussions will be made available to the CEE Consortium members.
(Representatives of the ISPOR CEE Consortium)
- Honorary patronage by the Ministry of Health of Poland and support from 9 institutions representing top health policy and academic institutions, regional NGOs from the European region, and institutions represented by the conference’s speakers and regional advisors.
- Nearly 200 attendees representing 34 countries
ISPOR EMEA REGIONAL NEWS
- Congratulations to Dr Martin Visnansky for being ratified by the ISPOR Board of Directors as the new Chair-elect of the ISPOR CEE Consortium. Dr Visnansky is the past President of ISPOR Slovakia Chapter and a current member of the Chapter Board, his candidacy was supported by the CEE Executive Committee members. Dr Visnansky’s vision for the CEE Consortium focuses on “working with the Consortium to strengthen its recognition as a reliable and acknowledged partner.”
- On March 26 the ISPOR Spain Chapter participated in a meeting with a local Ministry of Health with a theme “New Perspectives to Improve Health Systems of the 21 Century.” Topics of discussion included new funding models for medicines and healthcare technologies that allow technological innovations and maintaining the sustainability of the health system. Among speakers were representatives of public health organizations and academic institutions in Spain.
- Earlier in the year, on February 19, ISPOR Spain Chapter also organized a training that focused on providing methodological basis of multi-criteria decision analysis (MCDA) and examples of its application. The program included two session, the first one started with a global lecture about innovation and the role of MCDA by Dr Álvaro Hidalgo. The second session offered a Q&A time and presentation of application of MCDA in different settings.
- Recent new appointments for Chapter Presidents include: Dr Agnes Nyabigambo (ISPOR Uganda Chapter), Dr Maria Bucek Psenkova (ISPOR Slovakia Chapter), and Dr Matej Linke (ISPOR Slovenia Chapter) – congratulations to all! The Global Networks – EMEA team is looking forward to working with you!
- 1st National HTA Forum in Ukraine titled: “New Opportunities and Future Directions” was held on February 28 in Kiev. The event, which focused on HTA implementation in Ukraine was organized by the Ministry of Health (MOH) of Ukraine with the support of USAID. Close to 130 representatives of state authorities, scientific and educational institutions, patient organizations and industry participated in a discussion on forming the HTA roadmap in Ukraine. Oresta Piniazhko, the President of ISPOR Ukraine Chapter participated in the Forum together with Prof. Roman Ilyk, the Deputy Minister (MOH) and members of the Chapter board. More information about the event and Chapter’s representation in the development of HTA roadmap is available on the Chapter’s page.
- ISPOR Kenya Chapter held a meeting with health economics students from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK in Nairobi, Kenya on February 18 during which information about Chapter and its activities were presented.
(ISPOR Kenya Chapter members with students from the University of Edinburgh)
- ISPOR Ethiopia Chapter held its 2 national symposia on December 19-20 at the College of Medicine and Health Science Gondar, University of Gondar in Ethiopia titled “Access to Quality Medicines in Ethiopia: The Impact of Counterfeit Medications and The Role of Local Pharmaceutical Companies”. The symposium included 31 oral and poster presentations, two key note speeches, as well an educational seminar. Close to 100 participants included policy and decision makers, regulatory authorities, clinical researchers, public health experts, academicians, as well as representatives from local pharmaceutical companies.
- ISPOR Slovakia Chapter has a new Chapter President, Maria Bucek Psenkova. Dr. Psenkova and the Chapter Board agreed on new activities that include: preparation of local methodical PE guidelines, organization of seminars aimed to provide a forum for discussion on PE analyses submitted to the Ministry of Health, and continuation of co-operation with patient organizations and professional associations.
ISPOR MEMBER UPDATES
- ISPOR Global Networks EMEA at ISPOR 2019 conference, May 18-22, New Orleans, LA, USA
– A Leadership Training for ISPOR Regional Chapter leaders will be organized on Monday at 5:15pm-7:15pm. The theme of the training is: “What Makes a Good Leader and Why It Matters,” the training will be led by a professional leadership skills facilitator and focus on developing leader skills for volunteer managers. All ISPOR Regional Chapter Presidents are welcome to attend. If you are interested in participation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, space is limited.
– Informal meetings will be held for members of the ISPOR Arabic and Africa Networks and CEE Consortium during Monday and Tuesday lunchtime. If you are interested in attending, please contact email@example.com.
– All registrants are welcome to stop by the ISPOR booth (in the Exhibit Hall) on Monday at 3:15pm for an informational session on “Global Networks: Explore the Benefits of Transitioning From Conference Registrant to Member.” The Global Networks Chapters liaisons for Asia, Latin America, and EMEA will help you learn more about various benefits and overall value of ISPOR membership beyond conference participation.
– Join ISPOR global HEOR community at a Global Networks Reception on Monday at 7:30pm-9:00pm and take advantage of a unique networking opportunity to connect with ISPOR members from other regions.
– ISPOR Ukraine and Poland Chapters will deliver a joint presentation on Tuesday at 12:30pm – 1:45pm on the topic: “New Value and Coverage Frameworks for Innovative Medicines in CEE,” which will discuss new trends and approaches to optimize access and value of innovative medicines in the CEE region.
– There are several activities organized for ISPOR student members, such as: Student Leadership Retreat, Student Research Competition, Student & Faculty Icebreaker Reception and much more. For complete schedule and RSVP, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thank you to the EMEA Regional Chapters for complying with ISPOR governance requirements and submitting Annual Chapter Reports and 2019 Work Plans! All reports are being reviewed by the Global Networks – EMEA team and will be shared with the ISPOR Board of Directors. Information provided in the reports is also being reviewed and is considered in the selection process for the 2019 ISPOR Outstanding Chapter Award. Copies of the Chapter Annual Reports are available on individual Regional Chapters.
- Upcoming ISPOR Student Network Activities:
– Student Network Leadership Meeting, Friday, April 12, 2019 | 11:00am-12:00pm EDT. Link to register: https://ispor.webex.com/ispor/onstage/g.php?MTID=e8a335a1d2978de94972123cf1acac993
– Student Educational Webinar – “An Introduction to Pharmacovigilance.” Presenter: Dongmu Zhang, PhD, Director, Abbvie Inc., Chicago, IL, USA. Link to register: https://ispor.webex.com/ispor/onstage/g.php?MTID=e4936ddd8e0ee8f203d31db9666679feb
– Student Network Leadership Meeting, Friday, May 10, 2019 | 11:00am-12:00pm EDT. Link To Register: https://ispor.webex.com/ispor/onstage/g.php?MTID=e1b0e749841bcc2ce67f28a991f71ca87
- Looking for trending topics in HEOR taught by global experts and thought leaders in the field? Visit ISPOR Webinars page and take opportunity of the virtual training sessions offered in the areas of on economic evaluation, clinical outcomes, HTA, health policy and regulatory, and much more. For questions please contact email@example.com.
- ISPOR regional conference in the Middle East 2020– preparations are ongoing for ISPOR 2-day event in March 2020. The program will include short courses, invited panel sessions, educational symposia, atc. More information will be available on ISPOR website in the coming months. If you have questions about contribution to this meeting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New ISPOR Global Networks Membership Campaign: ISPOR values its global members, their commitment, contribution, and continuous support of the Society. We now invite you to join the “I am an ISPOR member because …” campaign and share with us your personal views on why being an ISPOR member matters, which benefits of ISPOR membership you value the most, and how the opportunities provided by the association have impacted your professional career in the HEOR field. We kindly ask that you share 3-5 sentences describing your ISPOR membership experience, your full name, degree, affiliation and a headshot by June 15, 2019 to email@example.com. Submitted feedback will be reviewed for being featured in the July issue of News Across EMEA as well as considered for publication in other ISPOR materials highlighting the value of ISPOR membership.
- Reminder: ISPOR Regional Chapters have new logos! As part of ISPOR’s new branding initiative, newly branded logos for ISPOR Regional Chapters have been designed to identify the group’s relationship with ISPOR and provide a professional image to the group that is reflective of ISPOR’s brand, mission, and vision. New logos should be used for Chapter-organized events and communication. If you are planning Chapter event, please make sure you are using the new Chapter logo. If you do not have it, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will email it to you.
- Remember: create your member profile on the ISPOR website. As indicated in the September 2018 issue, it is important that you activate your user profile in the new system and customize your communications preferences to receive communication from ISPOR, access HEOR content and resources, including Value in Health and Value in Health Regional Issues articles, Good Practices for Outcomes Research Reports, and other HEOR resources. From now on, “Certificates of Attendance” to ISPOR meetings will be posted to the individual’s members account.
Here are the steps to download your certificates:
- From the top of the ISPOR Home page delegate would “Log In” or “Manage Profile”
- Once logged in go to “My Account” select “My Events”
- Under “My Events” delegates will see all the events they have attended.
- Click on the specific event under which will be an option in the bottom left to “Print Certificate of Attendance
ISPOR UPCOMING EVENTS:
May 18-22, 2019, New Orleans, LA, USA. Early Registration Deadline: April 9, 2019
12-14 September 2019, Bogota, Colombia. Early Registration Deadline: 30 July 2019
2-6 November, 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark
Abstract Submission Opens: 1 March 2019
Abstract Submission Deadline: 12 June 2019
New ISPOR Conference Hashtags – for 2019 Conferences:
- #ISPORAnnual (for the annual ISPOR conferences held in North America)
- #ISPOREurope (for the annual ISPOR conferences held in Europe)
- #ISPORAP (for ISPOR conferences held in Asia Pacific)
- #ISPORLA (for ISPOR conferences held in Latin America)
- #ISPORSummit (for ISPOR Summits)
- #ISPOR<<city name>> (for ISPOR regional conferences, e.g., #ISPORDubai, #ISPORWarsaw)
ABOUT ISPOR GLOBAL NETWORKS – EMEA
ISPOR Global Networks EMEA represents regional groups affiliated with ISPOR that promote research, development and practice focusing on the advancement of health economics and outcomes research in Europe, Middle East, and Africa through educational, research, and policy-related activities to improve decision making for health. ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA encompasses 2 regional networks: Arabic and Africa, and Central & Eastern Europe Consortium, 42 Regional Chapters and works with close to 5000 members representing research, academia, industry, health care policy makers, regulators, health economists and patients in this global region.
ISPOR, the professional society for Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR), is an international, multi-stakeholder, nonprofit dedicated to advancing HEOR excellence to improve decision making for health globally. The society is the leading source for scientific conferences, peer-reviewed and MEDLINE®-indexed publications, good practices guidance, education, collaboration, and tools/resources in the field.