We hope you are enjoying summer and possibly some vacation time when you read this July 2019 issue of ISPOR News Across EMEA where we share with you the highlights of the ISPOR 2019 conference in New Orleans, bring you up-to-date on what is going on in the ISPOR Chapters in the EMEA region, and suggest exciting member engagement opportunities in ISPOR activities. We encourage you to share the ISPOR EMEA newsletter with your Chapter members and colleagues and, as always, welcome your contribution and your feedback, as well as questions about ISPOR – you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also would like to remind you that we especially encourage you to share updates from the ISPOR EMEA regional groups on their specific activities in HTA, patient engagement and new area of digital/e-health, while welcoming all HEOR-relevant regional news!
ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA Team
ISPOR 2019, May 18-22, 2019, New Orleans, LA, USA
- 4000 HEOR healthcare stakeholders from 65 countries (with nearly 500 attendees from the EMEA region) convened around the theme: “Rapid. Disruptive. Innovative. A New Era in HEOR.”
- Thought-provoking plenary sessions: “The Dawn of Disruption in the Health Sector: Will Innovative Technologies Require Innovative Ways of Thinking?”, “Medical Device Innovation and Regulation: Turbocharged for Success?”, “Is Affordability Driving a Need to Revolutionize Drug Pricing?” Presentations available.
(Daniel Kraft, MD, from Singularity University during first plenary session talked about innovative technologies and their influence on today’s healthcare sector)
- The ISPOR Ukraine and ISPOR Poland Chapters joint Forum: “New Value and Coverage Frameworks for Innovative Medicines in CEE.” Report from the presentation is available on the ISPOR Ukraine Chapter page.
- Informal dialogue-based meetings with the ISPOR CEE Consortium, ISPOR Arabic Network and Africa Network provided a great opportunity for global ISPOR members to share their views, thoughts, and suggestions on how to improve communication and news sharing between the groups and ISPOR EMEA team. ISPOR members who are new to global groups had a chance to learn about current activities and upcoming opportunities for engagement.
- Chapter Leadership training on: “What Makes a Good Leader and Why It Matters.” was led by a professional leadership skills facilitator and focused on developing leader skills for volunteer managers.
(The ISPOR Chapter Leadership Training gathered over 40 representatives from ISPOR regional and student chapters who learned new skills on how to effectively lead and manage their groups)
- ISPOR Dubai 2020 Announced! Following a successful launch of the ISPOR event in the Middle East and Africa region last year, we are happy to announce ISPOR Dubai 2020 to be held on 29-30 September 2020 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. ISPOR Dubai 2020 program will include short courses, invited panel sessions, educational symposia, etc. More information will be available shortly on the ISPOR website. If you have any questions regarding events support, program and sponsorship opportunities, please contact us at email@example.com.
ISPOR EMEA REGIONAL NEWS
- Starting July 1, the ISPOR CEE Consortium has a new Chair – Dr Martin Visnansky (2019-2021). Dr Visnansky is the past President of ISPOR Slovakia Chapter and a current member of the Chapter Board. He will continue providing strong leadership to the Consortium in fulfilling its mission and implementing the annual agenda. Dr Bertalan Nemeth from ISPOR Hungary Chapter, has been recommended by the Consortium as the new Chair-elect and his confirmation is awaiting ratification by the ISPOR Board of Directors. We take this opportunity to thank the Past-Chair Dr Guenka Ivanova Petrova (ISPOR Bulgaria Chapter) for her valuable contribution to the CEE Consortium activities in the last two years and look forward to her further guidance and participation in the Consortium and the organization.
- The ISPOR Africa Network has developed, agreed and commenced implementation of the Networks’ Research Framework. The objective of the Research Framework is to create a network of engaged researchers, experienced and inexperienced, within ISPOR Africa Network to facilitate the lifting-up of the Africa HEOR research profile to:
- ensure the development of Network members HEOR research skills
- ensure alignment with ISPOR’s global mission
- encourage collaborative HEOR research projects inside the Africa Network and with external partners
Update on the implementation progress will be provided at the ISPOR Africa Network Executive Committee meeting during ISPOR Europe 2019 in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- The ISPOR South Africa Chapter is preparing to host its 8th Annual Conference in Johannesburg on 16-17 September 2019. The conference will include short courses, discussion sessions, networking opportunities and the first ISPOR South Africa Chapter Think Tank that is expected to attract different stakeholders for a discussion on the changes and trends in the South African healthcare system. There will be opportunity for students and researchers to showcase their research through poster and podium presentations. More details will be available in the coming weeks on the Chapter website and the Chapter LinkedIn page.
- In support of the development of research skills in the UAE and the region, the ISPOR UAE Chapter is participating in a Certificate in Evidence Based Research. The first module (Certificate in Evidence Based Medicine) is scheduled to take place 28-29 September 2019 in Dubai. Also, in efforts to promote training and education in the region on HEOR, the Chapter has recently conducted a survey that focused around 3 main themes: participants’ demographics and education, experience in research, and areas of interest and what types of trainings and education topics are important. A report from these recent activities is available on the Chapter page.
- ISPOR Chapters and HTA: The survey conducted by the ISPOR CEE Consortium assesses education and training opportunities in health economics, pharmacoeconomics, and HTA in Central and Eastern Europe. The purpose of this initiative launched in January 2019 was to develop a structured overview of the education and training opportunities in HE/HTA in the countries of the ISPOR CEE Consortium Chapters. The obtained results show that most of the CEE countries have education systems that include HE/PE/HTA and that the development of core education programmes on HE/PE/HTA in CEE for training decision-makers is highly perspective. Detailed results from the survey will be presented during the ISPOR CEE Consortium at ISPOR Europe 2019.
- Congratulations to Alexandra Beletsi, PharmD, PhD for receiving the Value in Health Regional Issues Award (Central and Eastern Europe, Western Asia, and Africa) for her outstanding research paper, “Comparing Use of Health Technology Assessment in Pharmaceutical Policy among Earlier and More Recent,” that was published in ISPOR Value in Health Regional Issues in 2018. Dr Beletsi is with Servier Hellas Pharmaceuticals EPE, Athens, Greece.
- Patient engagement activities: The ISPOR Hungary Chapter organized 1st Patient Educational Workshop on 28 May 2019 in Budapest, Hungary. The event included presentations from experts at the HTA Office of the National Institute of Pharmacy and Nutrition, the National Institute of Health Insurance Fund Management, and health economics researcher and a patient advocate, who presented good practices for patient involvement in Europe. A multi-stakeholder workshop was attended by over 40 patient representatives who had the opportunity to learn how key institutions operate and engage in dialogue directly with their representatives.
(Patient Educational Workshop organized by ISPOR Hungary Chapter)
The Chapter also held the 13th Annual National Conference on Health Economics and Health Policy on 24 April in Budapest. The conference included presentations by experts from key national institutions, including the Secretary of State for Health, awards for the best poster and oral presentation, and a roundtable discussion on the healthcare-related proposals of the Central Bank of Hungary. Please visit the Chapter page for more information about the activities.
ISPOR MEMBER ENGAGEMENT AND CONTRIBUTION OPPORTUNITIES
- ISPOR Special Interest Group presents Webinar on Machine Learning
The ISPOR Statistical Methods in Health Economics and Outcomes Research Special Interest Group will conduct a webinar on “The Principles of Machine Learning for Prediction.” The webinar will be held on Tuesday, July 30 at 12:00PM EDT. To sign up for this webinar, please contact StatisticalMethodsSIG@ispor.org
- Call for candidates for Editor-in-Chief of Value in Health Regional Issues! ISPOR has launched an international search for qualified candidates to serve as the Editor-in-Chief who will be responsible for the journal within its defined regional/geographic context. The new Editor-in-Chief will play a key role in determining the strategic direction and future growth of the journal in Asia, Latin America, and Central and Eastern Europe, Western Asia, and Africa. The Editor-in-Chief position is a 4-year appointment (renewable once). While there is no regional residence requirement for this position, very strong consideration will be given to candidates located outside of North America/Western European countries. A complete job description for the position can be found here. Applicants are encouraged to review and complete an application here. Deadline to apply is July 31, 2019.
- Are you interested in learning about: Data and Value in Healthcare: 2020 and Beyond? Consider attending the upcoming ISPOR Latin America 2019 12-14 September 2019 in Bogotá, Colombia. The conference will bring together regional and international thought leaders and stakeholders in HEOR to share innovative research methods, health policy developments, and key challenges in the Latin American health sector. In addition, ISPOR Latin America 2019 will feature 2 plenary sessions on “The Role of Data Supporting an Effective Decision-Making Process” and “Value Measurement in 2020: Moving Forward in Low to Middle-Income Countries,” 3 spotlight sessions , and many more presentations in different formats as well as professional & student events. The conference will also offer a series of 10 pre-meeting short (training) courses. Some short courses will be available in Spanish and English with simultaneous interpretation. Visit the conference website to learn more and join the conversation on social media using the #ISPORLA.
- Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis – a 3-hour short course will be presented by ISPOR and taught by Professor Zoltan Kalo at the 79th FIP World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in Abu Dhabi, UAE on 25 September 2019. Congress registration is required to attend the course.
- Digital Transformation of Healthcare: Changing Roles and Sharing Responsibilities – the theme of the upcoming ISPOR Europe 2019. Best of HEOR research, methodology, health policy developments in the context of digitalization of healthcare systems’ challenges and opportunities – do not miss this year’s ISPOR European event on 2-6 November 2019 in Copenhagen, Denmark! For conference details and to register, please access here.
- Volunteer contributors for the ISPOR Book of Terms 2020! ISPOR is revising its seminal Healthcare Cost, Quality and Outcomes: ISPOR Book of Terms.
The 2003 bookincluded 100+ entries covering more than 400 terms related to the clinical, economic, and patient-reported outcomes relating to healthcare, as well as to the overall management and regulation of healthcare. If you are interested in contributing to this ISPOR publication initiative, please access here and volunteer today!
- Call for Updates to Pharmacoeconomic Guidelines Around the World ISPOR’s Pharmacoeconomic Guidelines Around the World provide country-specific guidelines used by the healthcare agencies in the region to inform reimbursement decisions. If you would like your country’s Pharmacoeconomic Guidelines to be posted on the ISPOR website, please click here to see if your country is listed or email us for more information.
- As announced in the April 2019 issue of News Across EMEA, we invite you to join the “I am an ISPOR member because …” campaign and share with us your views on ISPOR membership, why being an ISPOR member matters to you, which benefits of ISPOR membership you value the most, and how the opportunities provided by the Society have impacted your professional career in the HEOR field. We also look forward to hearing about your ISPOR membership experience. If you are interested in sharing your ISPOR experience, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Submitted feedback will be considered for publication in future issues of News Across and other ISPOR materials highlighting the value of ISPOR membership.
UPDATES FROM ISPOR GLOBAL
- ISPOR Participates at HTAi 2019 Cologne – the ISPOR International Initiatives on the Assessments of the Value of Medical Technologies HTA Council Working Group presented a symposium at HTAi 2019 Cologne (15-19 June 2019, Cologne, Germany) discussing the progress of and preliminary results for their ongoing project. Panelists represented the Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Norway; the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, UK; Health Canada, Canada; and Bocconi University, Italy. ISPOR presented on a panel discussing the Society’s health technology assessment (HTA) activities in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). The panel explored the potential for HTA beyond 2020 and the importance for international collaboration in the MENA region. Other panelists included INAHTA, WHO, HTAi, and the MENA Health Policy Forum.
- ISPOR launches expanded HEOR Presentations Database to include non-citable session presentations including plenaries, workshops, and issue panels from the Society’s conferences from the past 3 years. It is also optimized for mobile and offers enhanced search functionality with newly refined taxonomy classifications to provide users with a more useful, comprehensive HEOR search tool. The Presentations Database is one of the most utilized HEOR resources that the Society offers. It includes more than 50,000 citable research abstracts of podium and poster presentations from ISPOR conferences that are also published in Value in Health beginning in 1998.The Database is freely available to all and can be found here. All of ISPOR’s HEOR resources can be found here.
- ISPOR Board of Directors approves new Diversity and Inclusion Policy. The new Diversity and Inclusion Policy speaks to the commitment that the ISPOR’s Board of Directors and leadership have in reflecting the diversity of its membership in everything the Society does. As a global, multistakeholder, nonprofit organization, ISPOR focuses on a wide range of diversity dimensions that include (and not limited to) gender, career stage, ethnicity, race, education, sexual orientation, region/geographic location, physical disability, and religion. More about the policy is available here.
- Reminder: ISPOR Regional Chapters have new logos! As part of ISPOR’s new branding initiative, newly branded logos for ISPOR Regional Chapters have been designed to identify the group’s relationship with ISPOR and provide a professional image to the group that is reflective of ISPOR’s brand, mission, and vision. New logos should be used for Chapter-organized events and communication. If you are planning Chapter event, please make sure you are using the new Chapter logo. If you do not have it, please contact email@example.com and we will email it to you.
- Remember: you need to create your member profile on the ISPOR website if you wish to receive communication from ISPOR, access HEOR content and resources, including Value in Health and Value in Health Regional Issues articles, Good Practices for Outcomes Research Reports, and other HEOR. It is also important that you specify your “Regional Area of Interest” in order to be added to the mailing list for ISPOR regional newsletters.
Here are the steps how to choose your Regional Area of Interest: Step 1: Log in to your ISPOR Profile. https://www.ispor.org/ Click on “Log In.” Step 2: On your main profile page, click on “Edit Demographics in the middle of your screen. Step 3: Click on “Regional Area of Interest: Step 4: Choose your Regional Area of Interest and click “Save”.
You will then be added to the Mailing list for regional newsletters. Please note: You must be an ISPOR member to receive Regional Newsletters. More information regarding ISPOR Membership can be found here https://www.ispor.org/membership.
ISPOR UPCOMING EVENTS AND IMPORTANT TIMELINES:
12-14 September 2019, Bogotá, Colombia
Early Registration Deadline: 30 July 2019
2-6 November 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark
Early Registration Deadline: 24 September 2019
New ISPOR Conference Hashtags
- #ISPOREurope (for the annual ISPOR conferences held in Europe)
- #ISPORAP (for ISPOR conferences held in Asia Pacific)
- #ISPORLA (for ISPOR conferences held in Latin America)
- #ISPORSummit (for ISPOR Summits)
- #ISPOR<<city name>> (for ISPOR regional conferences, e.g., #ISPORDubai)
ABOUT ISPOR GLOBAL NETWORKS – EMEA
ISPOR Global Networks EMEA represents regional groups affiliated with ISPOR that promote research, development and practice focusing on the advancement of health economics and outcomes research in Europe, Middle East, and Africa through educational, research, and policy-related activities to improve decision making for health. ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA encompasses 2 regional networks: Arabic and Africa, and Central & Eastern Europe Consortium,42 Regional Chapters and works with close to 5000 members representing research, academia, industry, healthcare policy makers, regulators, health economists and patients in this global region.
ISPOR, the professional society for Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR), is an international, multi-stakeholder, nonprofit dedicated to advancing HEOR excellence to improve decision making for health globally. The society is the leading source for scientific conferences, peer-reviewed and MEDLINE®-indexed publications, good practices guidance, education, collaboration, and tools/resources in the field.