2018 is upon us and it comes with great growth and changes for ISPOR: new initiatives, new events, new look! We are delighted to bring you the first issue of this year of our quarterly ISPOR News Across Europe, Middle East, and Africa!
In this issue, you’ll learn about the latest news and updates from the ISPOR Regional groups in the EMEA region, such as accomplishments, educational activities, and conferences organized by the chapters. We also included a range of highlights from the ISPOR 20th European Congress in Glasgow and a brief update on the biannual “Health at a Glance in Europe” status report from the European Commission and OECD.
We encourage you to share this newsletter with your colleagues and contacts and welcome your thoughts and comments – please send them to EMEA@ispor.org
We hope you enjoy this issue and look forward to working with you in 2018 to continue advancing the science of HEOR.
ISPOR EMEA GLASGOW – HIGHLIGHTS
With nearly 5000 delegates from 77 different countries, the leading European congress for health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) featured 3 plenary sessions, 28 issue panels, 24 workshops, 12 forums, 9 educational symposia, and a variety of podium and poster presentations centered on the theme “The Evolution of Value in Health Care”.
STUDENT & NEW PROFESSIONAL EVENTS – 20TH EUROPEAN CONGRESS
The ISPOR Glasgow Congress featured a great number of events and networking opportunities for the ISPOR student and new professional members – a few examples below from just one day of the conference – Monday, November 6, 2017!
- ISPOR Student Research Showcase
The Student Research Showcase session featured three outcomes research studies, conducted by ISPOR student members and presented during the ISPOR 20th Annual European Congress. Each student author provided a brief summary of the research study and conclusions followed by a discussion on how their research fits with the meeting theme of “Having a High Impact on The Evolution of Value in Health Care”.
Moderators: Zeba M. Khan, RPh, PhD, Vice President, Celgene Corporation, Summit, NJ, USA; and Laura Pizzi, PhD, Professor, College of Pharmacy, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Speakers: Junjie Ma, MSc, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA; Omer Ben-Aharon, MBA, MHA, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel; Fanni Soikkeli, University of Eastern Finland, Joensuu, Kuopio and Savonlinna, Finland;
- ISPOR Career Advice Across The Globe – “The Art of Getting Published”
Building on the success of the Career Advice Across The Globe event that took place in Boston at the Annual International Meeting, this was the first New Professional event hosted during a European Congress. The event highlighted the topic of good practices and opportunities to get your research published. Speakers provided global perspectives on how to stand out in the highly competitive world of having your research published.
Speakers: Lyn Beamesderfer, Associate Director, Publications & Communications, ISPOR; Dan Mullins, PhD, Professor & Chair, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore, MD, USA;Diego Rosselli, MD, Associate Professor, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Bogota, Colombia; Dan Greenberg, PhD, Associate Professor & Chairman, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
- ISPOR Student & New Professional Mixer
All Students, Faculty, and New Professional members were welcomed to attend! One of the main goals of the ISPOR Student Network and the New Professional membership is to increase the connection and collaboration among individuals in the field of HEOR. For the first time ISPOR hosted a joint mixer to allow for sharing of experiences and ideas between attendees who have recently entered the work force and students who could benefit from increased networking connections!
UPDATES FROM ISPOR GLOBAL NETWORKS – EMEA
A few upcoming opportunity deadlines for your engagement in ISPOR:
- The abstract submission for ISPOR 23rd Annual International Meeting, Baltimore, MD USA deadline is Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
- ISPOR Regional Groups Forum proposals (Baltimore meeting) deadline is Friday, January 26, 2018 (please submit proposals form the EMEA regional groups to EMEA@ispor.org)
- ISPOR Baltimore early discounted registration ends on April 10, 2018
- Submission is open for the NEW ISPOR short course proposal for the ISPOR 21st Annual European Congress in Barcelona, Spain! If you are interested in submitting a new topic for consideration, please contact EMEA@ispor.org for instructions. Submission deadline is January 4, 2018.
- The ISPOR Chapter Annual Report including a Chapter Annual Work Plan 2018 submission deadline is January 30, 2018.
- The new type of ISPOR events – ISPOR Regional Meeting – will be held in the second half of September 2018 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The 2018 ISPOR Regional Meeting will be a 2-day event with a focus on the role of HEOR and HTA in health care decision-making in the Middle East and North Africa. More information and details coming up soon on the ISPOR website.
- Abstract Submission for ISPOR 8th Asia-Pacific Conference, Tokyo, Japan. Now open through March 14, 2018.
ISPOR New Initiatives – Focus on Chapter Leadership Training
- ISPOR Regional Chapter Handbook is an online resource available to ISPOR regional Chapters leaders as a guide to help them succeed in their roles. We invite you to explore and learn more about the new ISPOR Regional Chapter Handbook by clicking here.
- ISPOR Chapter Leadership Training Program is in development and will be launched at the 23rd Annual international Meeting in Baltimore, MD, USA and also offered during the 21st Annual European congress in Barcelona, Spain. An online training will also be provided as a part of this program. More information and details coming soon!
- From 2018, the ISPOR Chapter Award program will be introduced to recognize the efforts and outstanding contributions of ISPOR Regional Chapters in 3 Categories (small, medium, and large chapters). The description of this award program including criteria and process will be shared in the coming weeks. We appreciate your engagement and leadership!
NEWS FROM REGIONAL CHAPTERS
- ISPOR Hungary Chapter & ISPOR Egypt Chapter joined efforts to hold an educational seminar with a focus on “The Role of Private Health Insurance in Countries in the Transition to Universal Health Coverage.” This seminar took place this November 27th, 2017 in Budapest Hungary at the Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE).The seminar had the participation of Dr. Ehab Abouelmaged, Head of the Egyptian Healthcare Management Society Dr. Abouelmaged presented the future role of private health insurance in the Egyptian health care system based on health coverage, while Dr. Zoltán Kaló, Professor of Health Economics at the ELTE University / ISPOR Hungary Chapter, shared with the attendees an analysis of the public and private health insurance from an academic perspective. Dr Kaló also highlighted that the development of private health insurance should be aligned with the development of universal health coverage, but in a transparent and proactive regulatory environment, where the national health policy clearly defines its aims. The seminar also featured a presentation by Dr. Jenny Sedlak, Roche, Market Access Manager Eastern Europe, Middle East & Africa who explained the development of private health insurance from the pharmaceutical industry perspective and pointed out its potential contribution to the households’ financial security in countries without strong public health system. Dr. Sherif Abaza, President Elect ISPOR Egypt Chapter also provided a presentation on the upcoming introduction of universal health insurance in Egypt, which is planned to start in one governorate, and will gradually cover the entire country.The event concluded with a discussion and a session of Q&A with the participation of the ELTE students that focused their questions on the feasibility and the benefits of establishing a universal health insurance system in low and middle income countries. To learn more about this event we invite you to visit the Facebook page of ISPOR Hungary chapter and watch the event’s video here!
- Basic theory concepts of Budget Impact Analysis (BIA) were subject of the interactive workshop organized by the ISPOR Bosnia and Herzegovina Chapter on October 2-21, 2017. Pharmacists, academia, post-graduate students and pharma industry representatives attended the workshop to learn about new medicines reimbursement process. The workshop was one of the latest efforts of the Chapter in bringing the scientific understanding of pharmacoeconomics tools and its implementation into practice.
- On October 1, 2017, the ISPOR Egypt Chapter organized an Annual International Conference focusing on the Role of Real-World Evidence (RWE) in Healthcare. It included experts from global pharmaceutical companies, local Ministry of Health, health insurance companies, global RWE experts, and key opinion leaders from the region. The conference addressed the topics of engaging key stakeholders in generating RWE, the role of HTA, learning from EU healthcare RWE collection and others.
- The first ISPOR Ethiopia Chapter Symposium was held on December 12, 2017 at the facilities of the University of Gondor in Ethiopia and gathered policy and decision makers, regulatory authorities, clinical researchers, public health experts, and academia.
- ISPOR United Arab Emirates Chapter was a co-organizer of a Forum ” Education on Health Economics and Challenges Concerning Healthcare Funding for Pharmaceutical Innovation and Access”, which took place in September in Dubai. The event brought together decision makers, regulatory authorities, payers, healthcare providers, healthcare professionals, health insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and academia from the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) region. Education in HEOR techniques and methodologies, pricing of medicines and medicinal products, rational and efficient utilization of healthcare resources, as well as current experiences, future opportunities, and challenges in advancing health economics and outcomes research in GCC were among the Forum’s topics.
- In celebration of 5 years since its establishment, the ISPOR Armenia Chapter organized an anniversary meeting in October 2017 with the theme “The Implementation of Health Technology Assessment in Armenia and in the Eurasian Economic Union Countries”. The meeting included local and international speakers, among them Dr. Lusine Abrahamyan, Assistant Professor of Clinical Epidemiologist from the University of Toronto, who presented on intervention study designs and introduction to HTA.
- ISPOR Croatia Chapter had a very active 2017 in which the chapter held several meetings and discussed the current topics in the HEOR field. Among these activities the chapter members of the chapter participated in several lectures at various universities and faculties in Croatian universities. Additionally, during autumn, the chapter was an active member in the consultation process for the preparation of a new Medicines Act in Croatia, which is currently being drafted. This Act is expected to be adopted by the Parliament within the following year. ISPOR Croatia Chapter was also an active participant during the ISPOR 20th European congress in Glasgow, Scotland. The chapter members participated in lectures in the Forum F10: “The Burden of COPD in Central and Eastern Europe”. Also the chapter was part of the ISPOR CEE Consortium Working Committee Meeting held on Monday, November 6th and ISPOR Europe Chapters Presidents and EUPATI Meeting scheduled on Tuesday, November 7th, as well as at ISPOR CEE Consortium Executive Committee Meeting held on Tuesday, November7th.
Finally, on November 18th at the university of Zagreb, Croatia,the chapter participated in lectures on the interdisciplinary scientific and professional symposium “One Health – One Science” and on December 11th 2017 the chapter participated in the organization as well as providing some lectures at the conference “The Complete Regulatory Approach – From Approval to Drug Administration”.
- As one of their priorities, the ISPOR Italy-Rome Chapter is planning to develop training courses with focus on HTA and the distribution and dissemination of the ISPOR’s guidelines. The Chapter is also pleased to inform about the following projects that the chapter is currently working on:
- “EUPATI/ISPOR Italy-Rome Chapter
- “Italian QoL”,
- “HTA aimed to decision makers in Public Health concerning Vaccines”
- “Measure, assess and improve of the diabetes patient’s pathway in Italy”, “National Observatory on blindness: social costs and indirect costs”
It is important to mention that the development of all projects mentioned above are also thanks to the collaboration with the Chapter’s key partners like the ALTEMS-Catholic University of the Sacred Heart-UNICATT, CEIS-EEHTA – Università di Tor Vergata, EUPATI – European patients ‘ Academy on Therapeutic Innovation and Ospedale San Pietro. The chapter also had an opportunity to attend the 20th ISPOR European Congress in Glasgow, Scotland where the chapter held a meeting with the participation of Prof. Alberto Migliore, President of ISPOR Italy – Rome Chapter, and Dr. Andrea Marcellusi, member of the Board of Directors of ISPOR Italy – Rome Chapter. The meeting presented a report and update on the activities carried out by the ISPOR Italy – Rome Chapter. Additionally, future activities and plans were shared with the chapter members. Finally, the meeting concluded with the announcement of the next chapter meeting. That will take place on April 17, 2018 in Rome, Italy and will be titled the” ISPOR National Congress -Rome Chapter 2018. In addition, the chapter is also planning to hold a pre-congress course with focus on HTA current topics. The chapter is expecting the participation of researchers, doctors, pharma professionals, pharmacists, consultancies, etc. The chapter is also planning to grant to 10 researchers an opportunity to participate at the next ISPOR European Congress.
- ISPOR Russia HTA Chapter participated as a co-organizer of the “IV Scientific and Practical International Conference «Health technology assessment: value-based healthcare»”, held on November 23, 2017 in Moscow, Russia. The main topic of discussion was the Value-based healthcare and the delivery of models that focus on controlling relevant outcomes for the patients and costs of their treatments. This is a relevant topic because focus on outcomes, value-based healthcare, helps healthcare providers to manage costs and deliver improved medical care considering the limited financial resources available. The main goal of the event was to present and harmonize different approaches for development of the healthcare system in Russia with application of the concept of the value-based healthcare.. Other important discussion topics included increasing cost efficiency in healthcare, development of quality criteria of medical care, digitalization in healthcare, international experience of development of standard outcome measures, etc. The conference featured presentations by international experts on value-based healthcare implementation from Sweden and Germany and offered a lot of opportunities for interaction and engagement of attendees. The event was well attended with more than 400 participants including representatives from the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation, State Duma of the Russian Federation, Federal Compulsory Medical Insurance Fund, Ministry of Health and Ministry of Finance of the Russian.
- ISPOR Poland Chapter held their 15th Conference on November 30th and December 1st, 2017 with the tittle “Drug pricing in Europe – fair, uniform, or both? “ The Conference was opened by the President of ISPOR Poland Chapter, Maciej Niewada, Past President Joanna Lis, and Prof. Marcin Czech. The conference had the participation of Dr. Zoltan Kaló who made a presentation on drug pricing in the CEE countries which was followed by a discussion panel on rational medicinal policy in the CEE countries. The conference was fortunate to have the participation and presentation of experts in the field such asJiri Samek, John Yfantopoulos, Tomas Tesar, and Maciej Niewada as a moderator. The last part of the conference was dedicated to the analysis of HTA in Poland. This session was presented by thePolish HTA Agency (AOTMiT). The second day of the conference had a focus on the discussion of medical devices, followed by session of RWE, Polish EQ-5D-5L valuation study, and HTA in oncology and in hospital setting and also included the valuable presentations of original studies presented by academia and students in the field.
HEATLH AT A GLANCE: EUROPE
Every two years, the European Commission prepares the State of Health in the EU cycle report that includes among other deliverables the following:
- Individual country health profiles for each Member State
- A Commission’s Companion Report to accompany the country health profiles
The country health profiles use a standard structure and methodology, but the content is adapted to what is relevant for each EU country. EU countries are not ranked according to their overall performance, but assessed according to their national specificities and progress made.
As a part of the State of Health in the EU cycle, the Health at a Glance: Europe report series jointly prepared by the European Commission and OECD gauges progress towards effective, accessible and resilient health systems across the EU. The report which is published every two years provides a neutral, descriptive comparison of all EU countries on the basis of publically available data and indicators.
FUTURE ISPOR EVENTS:
Are you involved with ISPOR Africa, Arabic Networks, or CEE Consortium but you are not an ISPOR member yet? Learn now about the many advantages of becoming a member of the global collaborative HEOR community –Join ISPOR Now! and become part of it.
As an ISPOR member you will help to promote HEOR excellence and to improve health care decision making around the world. To learn more about ISPOR and membership benefits – view ISPOR’s New Member 101 webinar. For questions contact email@example.com.
ISPOR Global Fellowship Directory and Global Internship Directory – new and exclusive member benefit! Two new online resources for fellowships and internships for health economics and outcomes researchers. Visit ISPOR Career Center to explore more opportunities in the HEOR field.
ISPOR ENGAGEMENT OPPORTUNITIES – GET INVOLVED!
For more opportunities to engage with ISPOR, please visit www.ispor.org
About ISPOR Global Networks EMEA
ISPOR Global Networks EMEA represents regional groups affiliated with ISPOR that promote research, development and practice focusing on the advancement of health economics and outcomes research in Europe, Middle East, and Africa through educational, research, and policy-related activities to improve decision making for health. ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA encompasses 2 regional networks: Arabic and Africa, and Central & Eastern Europe Consortium, 42 Regional Chapters and works with close to 5000 members representing research, academia, industry, health care policy makers, regulators, health economists and patients in this global region.
Thank you for your interest in the ISPOR EMEA Global Networks – we hope this issue of News Across Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) provided you with an insight into research, education and networking opportunities in the ISPOR EMEA global groups!
If you would like to learn more about ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA or share information on the HEOR activities in your country please contact us at EMEA@ispor.org
We look forward to hearing from you!
ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA Team
© 2017 International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR)
505 Lawrence Square Blvd. South, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648 USA