We are delighted to share with you the September 2018 edition of ISPOR News Across Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) and bring you information about the latest ISPOR initiatives and upcoming regional and global events, HEOR developments in Regional Chapters in the EMEA region, and new opportunities for membership engagement.
We are only one week away from ISPOR’s first regional HEOR event in the Middle East – ISPOR Dubai 2018. The conference titled: “Healthcare Decision-Making in the Middle East and North Africa: Role of HEOR & HTA” will feature thought-provoking panel discussions, as well as presentations in the form of workshops, symposia, round-tables and educational lectures led by highly recognized regional and international experts in the field. Attendees will have an opportunity to learn from each other, network, and engage in discussions with different stakeholders. If you want to meet people in the field and discuss the latest HEOR trends in the region – this is the place to be!
Other exciting news includes announcement of the winners of the new ISPOR recognition program – ISPOR Outstanding Chapter Awards, new Chairs of the Arabic and Africa Networks and new members of the ISPOR Board of Directors. We also bring you brief overview from ISPOR 2018 in Baltimore, introduce the preliminary program and opportunities for participation for Global Networks – EMEA at ISPOR Europe 2018 in Barcelona, share the latest news and relevant developments from the ISPOR EMEA Chapters, and provide insight into ISPOR’s new branding for ISPOR Regional Chapters and the new ISPOR website.
We hope you enjoy this issue and share it with your colleagues!
Please remember that we welcome your contribution and your feedback, as well as questions about ISPOR – you may contact us at EMEA@ispor.org.
We look forward to seeing you at ISPOR’s upcoming events and your continuous participation in our organization!
ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA Team
ISPOR DUBAI 2018 – REGISTER HERE!
The ISPOR’s first HEOR event in the Middle East and North Africa will be held 19-20 September 2018 at the Marriott Hotel Al Jaddaf, Dubai.
HE Dr Amin Al Ameeri, MSc, PhD, Assistant Undersecretary for Public Health Policy and Licensing Sector, Ministry of Health and Prevention, United Arab Emirates will deliver the keynote address. The ISPOR Dubai 2018 program will feature a number of educational seminars, including “Introduction to Health Economics” and “Introduction to Health Technology Assessment.” The plenary session, “The Role of HEOR in Decision Making: Global Knowledge for Local Application,” will draw on the experience of speakers from the United Kingdom, United States, United Arab Emirates, and Egypt. The scientific program will cover a diverse mix of regional topics, including 3 panel discussions on “Improving Access to Innovative Health Technologies,” “Pricing and Reimbursement: Issues and Challenges,” and “Health Technology Assessment Implementation Roadmap in the Middle East and North Africa.” Speakers include international and regional experts in HEOR from government, academia, healthcare provider and industry organisations. The event is supported by a number of esteemed institutions from the Middle East and North Africa.
Full program and speakers visit ISPOR Dubai 2018.
For questions about the conference, please contact EMEA@ispor.org
ISPOR Europe 2018 will be held on 10-14 November 2018 in Centre de Convencions Internacional de Barcelona. The conference with the theme of “New Perspectives for Improving 21st Century Health Systems” is expected to attract more than 5000 participants. The scientific program will feature three plenary sessions and more than 2500 presentations in the form of workshops, issue panels, forums, symposia, and podium and poster presentations on innovative research methods, health policy development using outcomes research, patient preferences, real-world data, and clinical-, economic-, and patient-reported outcomes.
The early registration deadline is September 25 – register now!
ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA Participation
- Over 3700 registrants from EMEA region expected to attend!
- Opportunity to learn about emerging trends in global health care during variety of scientific sessions, including ISPOR Forums presented by EMEA Chapters and Networks:
- Does MCDA Lead to Better Patient Access in Africa?
- Market Access in CEE: What are the Drivers and Challenges?
- Challenges in Medicines Funding for Rare Diseases
- Value Assessment Framework in Emerging Markets – Experience from Countries in the Middle East
- Priority Setting – Criteria and Process of Rare Diseases Management in CEE Countries
- Meetings scheduled for the Executive Committee members of the ISPOR CEE Consortium, Arabic, and Africa Networks
- Regional meetings for ISPOR Austria, Turkey, Chapters of the Eurasian Economic Union Countries, Russia HTA, Italy-Rome and Spain Chapters
- Learning and engagement opportunities for ISPOR students:
- Student & New Professional Mixer
- Student Research Showcase
- Student & Faculty Luncheon
- Networking and collaborating opportunities with colleagues from Europe during the ISPOR CEE Consortium Reception
- Opportunity to attend Chapter Leadership Training – the workshop will take place on November 11 at 17:30-19:30 and will be followed by a mini reception. This interactive training workshop is designed for Regional Chapter leaders to equip them with in-depth information on ways to get involved in various ISPOR activities, on ISPOR chapter governance and management requirements, and provide them with opportunities to learn from peers on successful approaches to chapter member engagement, leadership succession, training, stakeholder involvement, etc. To register for the event, please contact EMEA@ispor.org by September 21.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM ISPOR 2018 IN BALTIMORE!
The ISPOR 2018, which was held 19-23 May, Baltimore, MD, USA, drew over 3700 healthcare stakeholders representing 70 countries from all sectors of healthcare, including policy makers, global thought leaders, researchers and academicians, public and private payers, decision makers, and patient representatives. The conference focused on: “Real-World Evidence, Digital Health, and the New Landscape for Health Decision Making”.
ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA Participation
- Over 400 registrants from EMEA region!
- Variety of topics in economics and outcomes research (HEOR) globally
- Opportunities to engage in discussion and collaborate with members from Chapters Networks, and Consortium across ISPOR Global regions (EMEA, Latin America, Asia-Pacific)
- Networks and Consortium Members Meetings:
- ISPOR CEE Consortium
- ISPOR Africa Network
- ISPOR Arabic Network
- Inaugural ISPOR Chapter Leadership Training – this workshop provided Chapter leadership with opportunity to strengthen their skills in managing and leading the development of ISPOR Regional Chapters
- Opportunity to network and make connections at ISPOR Global Networks Welcome Reception (photo below)
For conference program and released presentations, visit Conference Presentations.
UPDATES FROM ISPOR GLOBAL NETWORKS – EMEA
And the ISPOR 2018 Outstanding Chapter Award Winners Are….
- ISPOR congratulates ISPOR Regional Chapters: Colombia, Mexico, and Russia St. Petersburg with winning the ISPOR Outstanding Regional Chapter Award! Awardees will be recognized at the upcoming ISPOR Europe 2018 in Barcelona, Spain. The Award program recognizes outstanding contribution and leadership of ISPOR Regional Chapters in advancing ISPOR’s mission in ISPOR global regions – Asia, Latin America, and Europe, Middle East, and Africa. ISPOR staff assess the Chapters contributions by applying eligibility and selection criteria in their review of the information available from the Chapter Annual Reports, chapter input to the ISPOR publications and ISPOR activities throughout the year. The award consists of a trophy, an amount of 1000USD per winning Chapter (available as a credit against the future Chapter educational events), interview in VOS and a complimentary Annual European Congress registration for the Chapter delegate who will be receiving an award. For more information about the award criteria and selection process, please visit ISPOR Outstanding Regional Chapter Award Program.
- ISPOR members have elected the 2018-2019 Board of Directors. Congratulations to Rok Hren, PhD, MSc, Past, ISPOR CEE Consortium Research Committee Chair and Head of Laboratory Diagnostics, Point of Care and Molecular Diagnostics in the Adriatic Region, Siemens Healthineers in Slovenia – for being elected to the Board!
- ISPOR welcomes new Chairs (2018-2020) of the Arabic and Africa Networks Executive Committees! Congratulations to: Ola Ghaleb Al Ahdab (Chair of Arabic Network), Pharmaceutical Advisor, CPD-Pharma Founder & Program Manager, Ministry of Health and Prevention, UAE and Dr. Mohammed Lamorde (Chair of Africa Network), Head of Department, Prevention, Care and Treatment Programme, Infectious Diseases Institute, Makerere University, Uganda. Dr. Mahmoud Elmahdawy (Director, Market Access and Health Economics, Novartis and Lecturer, Misr International University, Egypt) joins the ISPOR Arabic Network leadership as the new Chair-Elect. To learn more about the Networks and get involved please access ISPOR Networks.
- The 2017 ISPOR Chapters Annual Reports are now available on individual Regional Chapters webpages – thank you again to Chapter leadership for complying with ISPOR governance requirements and submitting the reports. The 2018 Chapters Annual Reports will be due by early 2019! Information on submitting the document and instructions will be sent to Chapters leadership in November.
- The upcoming September-October 2018 Issue of Value in Health Regional Issues (CEEWAA) will feature 15 papers, including 3 theme-focused articles on Drug Policies in Estonia, Greece, and Romania. To view the latest ViHRI issues and articles in progress, visit Value in Health Regional Issues.
- ISPOR Regional Chapter Educational Fund Facts and Updates:
- Chapters that are in a country classified by the World Bank list of economies as Low/Lower-Middle/Upper-Middle classification are considered eligible to utilize the Fund
- Eligible Chapter may receive $1,500 USD every year (not to exceed total fund credit of $6,000 USD)
- Application must be fully and correctly completed to be considered. ISPOR reserves the right not to approve an application which is incomplete
- Funds are transferred based on proof of expenditures (receipts/invoices)
- Funds can be used to support Chapter members attending an ISPOR Event. A Chapter can apply for up to $500 USD per year for a member who has not received this support previously.
- Funds can be used to support a representative of the Chapter Leadership to attend Chapter Leadership training. A chapter can apply for up to $500 USD per year for a member of the Chapter leadership team who has not received this support previously.
- An email from the ISPOR Chapter leadership is required to confirm that the fund will be used for a Chapter educational activity.
- For questions on Chapter eligibility, available credit, and application procedures, please contact EMEA@ispor.org
- ISPOR Travel Grant Criteria and Upcoming Meetings:
- The candidate must be active, current ISPOR member and must have a primary residence in a country classified by the World Bank list of economies as Low/Lower-Middle/Upper-Middle classification
- The candidate for an ISPOR conference (held in North America) or ISPOR Europe conference must reside in a country/region in Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Latin America, or Oceania
- The candidate for an ISPOR Asia Pacific conference must reside in a country/region in Asia or Oceania
- The candidate for an ISPOR Latin America Conference must reside in a country/region in Latin America
- The candidate must be employed by an academic, government, or nonprofit organization
- The candidate must not be a student [Note: Students may apply for the ISPOR Student Travel Grant]
- The candidate must not have received an ISPOR Conference Travel Grant during the past 5 years
- Application deadlines for the following ISPOR 2019 Conferences will be available on ISPOR website by early 2019:
- ISPOR 2019, May 18-22, 2019 in New Orleans, LA, USA
- ISPOR Latin America 2019, September 12-14, 2019 in Bogota, Colombia
- ISPOR Europe 2019, November 2-4, 2019 in Copenhagen, Denmark
- For questions about the Travel Grant, please contact EMEA@ispor.org.
NEWS FROM EMEA REGIONAL CHAPTERS
- ISPOR South Africa Chapter is organizing 7th ISPOR South Africa Chapter Conference on September 16-18 in Johannesburg, South Africa. The conference’s theme is: “Universal Access to Health: The Role of HTA and HEOR.” The program includes short courses, poster author discussions, as well as presentation sessions on topics, such as: health financing, health market inquiry, research in HEOR, and outcomes research as the way forward for NHI. For detailed program and registration information, click on the Chapter’s link.
- ISPOR Hungary Chapter organized the 12th Annual Hungarian Health Economics Conference in May. The two-day conference focused on discussing health policy, pharmaceutical policy, inpatient care, clinical and real-world effectiveness, and health technology assessment. An international section of the program featured lecturers from USA, Africa, and Western Europe. To access report from the conference, click on the Chapter’s link.
- ISPOR Ukraine Chapter members were actively engaged in many activities during the ISPOR 2018 in Baltimore. The Chapter held a meeting titled: “National Pharmaceutical Policy in Ukraine: Key Challenges and Opportunities” which was attended by the Minister of Health of Ukraine, other Ministry of Health officials and international experts in HEOR, including members of EMEA Regional Chapters. To read a report by the Chapter, click on the Chapter’s link.
- ISPOR Austria Chapter held meeting on May 30 focused on planning Chapter’s activities and discussing members active involvement with ISPOR, including contribution to scientific program at ISPOR Europe 2018 in Barcelona.
- ISPOR Egypt Chapter organized “Practice Workshop on Pharmacoeconomics” on May 15 in Cairo, Egypt. The program focused on providing practical skills of conducting economic evaluation to inform decision and policy makers to improve health of the Egyptian population. The event was attended by physicians and pharmacists involved in purchasing decisions of pharmaceutical products. The workshop agenda is available on the Chapter’s website.
- ISPOR Serbia Chapter in collaboration with the Croatian Society of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics organized the 8th Adriatic and 5th ISPOR Serbia Chapter Congress of the Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research on April 19-22, 2018 in Belgrade, Serbia. The Congress was organized with the aim to bring together experts from relevant institutions working in HTA, encourage education, communication, and exchange of ideas in the field of HEOR. For report from the Congress, click on the Chapter’s link.
- ISPOR Italy-Rome Chapter organized 4th National Congress on April 18 in Rome, Italy, which focused on discussing HEOR topics, including economic evaluations to support access to medicines in different care settings, HTA, and medical devices.
USEFUL INFORMATION FROM THE ISPOR EMEA GLOBAL REGION
Africa: The African Ministers of Health, at a meeting of a Working Group of the Specialised Technical Committee on Health, Population and Drug Control on May 19, 2018 unanimously adopted the Treaty for the establishment of the African Medicines Agency (AMA). The meeting was held during the 71st Session of the World Health Assembly (WHA) in Geneva, Switzerland. For more information, read
- The Connecting Europe Facility call aims at improving European digital services, including e-health. A €5 million budget is available for projects seeking to enhance cross-border healthcare access and provide better services using ICT tools. Deadline: 29 November 2018. Read more
- Study on the economic impact of pharmaceutical incentives and rewards in Europe requested and funded by the European Commission, and carried out by Copenhagen Economics was published in June 2018. The study provides an overview of pharmaceutical incentives and economic evidence on how Supplementary Protection Certificates and regulatory data protection are used in practice and their overall effects on innovation, availability and accessibility of medicinal products. Read more here (European Commission DG SANTE e-News Service)
NEW AT ISPOR!
- ISPOR new branding initiative – ISPOR has moved away from the full legacy name of the Society and is now using, “ISPOR—The Professional Society for Health Economics and Outcomes Research.” This change aligns with the 2015 strategic plan to broaden ISPOR’s focus to “health economics”. Also, a theme line (aka tagline) “Improving Healthcare Decisions” is now part of ISPOR brand (new logo provided below). This new ISPOR (Headquarters) logo cannot be used without written consent by ISPOR.
- As part of ISPOR new branding initiative, newly branded logos for ISPOR Regional Chapters have been designed to identify the group’s relationship with ISPOR and provide a professional image to the group that is reflective of ISPOR’s brand, mission, and vision (example provided below). ISPOR Regional Chapter logos should be used for Chapter-organized events and communications. To request new logo for Regional Chapter, please contact EMEA@ispor.org
- On July 31, 2018, ISPOR launched the newly redesigned website ispor.org! The new ISPOR website is now integrated with ISPOR’s new association management system (AMS)—an IT platform that will provide ISPOR constituents with many benefits, including the ability to manage your user profile, set communication preferences, and indicate areas of interest.
What Do I Need To Do?
It is of utmost importance to activate your user profile in the new system! Please take the time to activate your user profile on the new system and customize your communications preferences to access ISPOR’s HEOR content and resources with a single sign-on, including Value in Health and Value in Health Regional Issues articles, Good Practices for Outcomes Research Reports, and other HEOR resources. To activate your user profile, please:
- Visit the new, redesigned ISPOR website at ispor.org.
- Click the green “Log in” button in the top right corner.
- Enter your email address and password Member/Past-Member ID# as password [If you have never been an ISPOR member, use your last name in all lowercase as password]
- You will be requested to change your password
- Please use ‘Forgot Your Password’ to reset your password if needed.
These new systems will allow you to continue stay in touch with ISPOR, receive the news and easily find and download the HEOR resources you need while enabling ISPOR staff to better serve you. Please do take the time to activate your member profile on the new system and customize your communications preferences. If you have any question on how to create a user profile, please contact EMEA@ispor.org.
- Visit ISPOR Chapter Resource Center – a new online resource of information for Regional Chapter leaders about the Chapter Leadership Training, Chapter Handbook, and ISPOR Outstanding Award program.
- Visit ISPOR Health Technology Assessment Central– a new comprehensive repository of resources and tools to support health technology assessment (HTA). The ISPOR HTA Central helps bridge the gap between health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) and other disciplines that inform HTA and healthcare decisions. The site can be accessed by both ISPOR members and non-member.
ISPOR UPCOMING EVENTS:
ISPOR Dubai 2018
19-20 September 2018 / Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Healthcare Decision-Making in the Middle East and North Africa: Role of Health Economics, Outcomes Reseacrh and Health Technology Assessment
ISPOR Summit 2018
19 October 2018 / Washington, DC, USA
New Approaches to Value Assessment—
Towards More Informed Pricing in Healthcare – Register now!
ISPOR Europe 2018
10-14 November 2018 / Barcelona, Spain
New Perspectives for Improving 21st Century Health Systems
ISPOR Warsaw 2019
March, Warsaw, Poland
Details coming soon.
May 18-22, 2019 / New Orleans, LA, USA
Abstract Submissions open: October 1, 2018
ISPOR Latin America 2019
12-14 September / Bogotá, Colombia
Abstract submissions open: 1 December 2018
ABOUT ISPOR GLOBAL NETWORKS – EMEA
ISPOR Global Networks EMEA represents regional groups affiliated with ISPOR that promote research, development and practice focusing on the advancement of health economics and outcomes research in Europe, Middle East, and Africa through educational, research, and policy-related activities to improve decision making for health. ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA encompasses 2 regional networks: Arabic and Africa, and Central & Eastern Europe Consortium, 42 Regional Chapters and works with close to 5000 members representing research, academia, industry, health care policy makers, regulators, health economists and patients in this global region.
ISPOR, the professional society for Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR), is an international, multi-stakeholder, nonprofit dedicated to advancing HEOR excellence to improve decision making for health globally. The society is the leading source for scientific conferences, peer-reviewed and MEDLINE®-indexed publications, good practices guidance, education, collaboration, and tools/resources in the field.
Have any questions or comments? Contact us.