Welcome to the July issue of ISPOR News Across EMEA, this issue provides the latest updates on HEOR and health policy from different perspectives in the EMEA region.
This issue also includes news from ISPOR Regional Chapters and updates from ISPOR HQ office.
As always, we encourage you to share the ISPOR EMEA newsletter with your Chapter members and colleagues and welcome your contribution, comments, and questions about ISPOR – you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you will enjoy the July edition of our newsletter and we look forward to your engagement and participation at ISPOR’s upcoming events and activities.
ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA Team
HEOR/HEALTH POLICY UPDATES FROM EMEA REGION
- In June the European Commission launched the “Re-open EU” web platform that supports a safe relaunch of travelling and tourism across Europe. Among other things, it includes practical information provided by Member States on travel restrictions, public health and safety measures such as on physical distancing or wearing of facemasks, as well as other useful information on EU and national tourism offers. Read more…
- The European Commission published economic policy guidance focused on the most urgent challenges brought about by the pandemic and on relaunching sustainable growth was the subject of the country-specific recommendations published in May 2020 by the European Commission. Investments in public health and strengthening the resilience of the healthcare systems were among focus areas of the recommendations. Read more…
- EUnetHTA Covid-19 Rolling Collaborative Review – Project Plan now available – as part of its response to the Covid-19 pandemic, EUnetHTA is working to release ‘Rolling Collaborative Reviews (RCR)’. The objective of such reviews is to provide decision-makers with a timely synthesis of available evidence on the comparative effectiveness of therapeutic health technologies relevant to the management of the current pandemic. For more information, please visit here.
- EMA Launches public consultation on joint network strategy to 2025 EMA and the Heads of Medicines Agencies (HMA) have developed a joint strategy for the next five years that is released for a two-month public consultation until 4 September 2020. The draft strategy details how the European medicines agencies’ network can continue to enable the supply of safe and effective medicines that meet patients’ needs in the face of challenges posed by ever-accelerating developments in science, medicine, digital technologies, globalisation as well as emerging health threats, such as the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, please visit here
African Union Rolls out Partnership to Accelerate COVID-19 Testing (PACT) “We have set four goals for PACT: to scale up testing for COVID-19, to continue training healthcare workers on the continent, to establish a platform for pooled procurement at Africa CDC, and to deploy one million community workers who will help trace contacts of confirmed cases. PACT is a vital component of the continental response to COVID-19 and it is the key to ensuring that we unlock our economies in a safe manner.” ~ Chairperson of the African Union Commission, H.E. Moussa Faki Mahamat. Read more
The European Union Supports Africa’s COVID-19 Continental Response “Global solidarity is key to fighting COVID-19. This is why in these difficult times partnership between Team Europe and the African Union is as strong and reliable as ever.” ~ Ambassador Ranieri Sabatucci, Head of the EU Delegation to the African Union. Read more
ISPOR CHAPTERS REGIONAL NEWS
ISPOR SPAIN CHAPTER STRATEGIC PLAN IN PLACE
The ISPOR Spain chapter is a leading scientific and educational think-tank in the field of health economics and outcomes research that brings together different agents who influence and participate in the NHS decision-making.
The Board of Directors of the ISPOR Spain Chapter began the elaboration of its Strategic Plan where the strategic lines defined were based on the international ISPOR 2016-2020 strategic plan: internal organization (Board, working groups and role of new leaders), relationship with ISPOR (Headquarters and regional chapters), relationship with local stakeholders (scientific societies, health associations, pharmaceutical industry, etc.), training (internal and external) and communication (internal and external). Specific strategic objectives were identified for each of the defined strategic lines and actions aimed at achieving one or more of the specific strategic objectives identified.
In January 2020, the identification and prioritization of strategic objectives, the preparation of an action plan (with those responsible), in addition, the identification of an external panel of validators, was carried out at a meeting of the entire Board. A document was generated and re-evaluated with comments from the members of the Board. A first draft of the Strategic Plan was generated and sent for external validation.
At the end of the validation process, 5 strategic lines, 14 objectives and 35 actions were obtained.
This Plan was presented at the Chapter Meeting organized remotely in May 2020 where it was endorsed by all the attending members. The complete Plan can be downloaded from the chapter website: www.isporspainchapter.orgThe next steps of the Plan are to develop a calendar and identify a responsible party for each action and keep the plan updated.
For updates on recent activities, please visit the ISPOR Spain Chapter.
EMEA NETWORKS AND CONSORTIUM UPDATES
- Congratulations to the New ISPOR EMEA Leadership 2020-2022.
We are happy to welcome Rita Karam, PharmD, PhD, Lebanon Ministry of Health, Beirut, Lebanon, as the Chair-Elect of the Arabic Network, and Eskinder Eshetu, PhD, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, as the Chair-Elect of the Africa Network. We look forward to working with you and Mahmoud Elmahdawy, Egypt, as the Arabic Network Chair, and Tienie Stander, South Africa, as the Africa Network Chair.
We express our sincere appreciation and gratitude for their leadership, dedication and support to Ola Alahdab, UAE, as the Past Chair of the Arabic Network, and to Mohammed Lamorde, Uganda, as the Past Chair of the Africa Network.
ISPOR’s Value in Health Regional Issues Articles in Press
Value in Health Regional Issues – CEEWAA (Central and Eastern Europe, Western Asia and Africa) 2020 will be published in September 2020, but there are currently several articles in press for viewing:
Rainer Reile, Triin Võrno, Jaak Kals, Pilvi Ilves, Raul-Allan Kiivet
- Cost-Minimization Analysis of Ranibizumab Versus Aflibercept for Treating Saudi Patients With Visual Impairment Owing to Age-Related Macular Degeneration or Diabetic Macular Edema
Faris El-Dahiyat, Islam Eljilany
- Evaluation of Psychometric Quality of EQ-5D-5L Scale for Assessing Health-Related Quality of Life of Malaria Patients
Nanloh S. Jimam, Nahlah E. Ismail, Wetkos D. Dayom
Abraham G. Welie, Gebremedhin Beedemariam Gebretekle, Elly Stolk, Clara Mukuria, Murray D. Krahn, Fikre Enquoselassie, Teferi Gedif Fenta
Recently Published Articles from the WHO Eastern Mediterranean Region
The Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal (EMHJ) of World Health Organization Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean published its latest June 2020 issue, which includes country reports on COVID-19 and public health studies from across the region.
ISPOR MEMBER NEWS AND ENGAGEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
- ISPOR Conferences 2020 – ISPOR is continuing to closely monitor news and reports of COVID-19 outbreaks globally and will plan to announce potential changes to future conferences if needed. The Society has an active crisis preparedness team and plan for COVID-19. This team is actively monitoring the situation globally, meeting on a routine basis with key stakeholders, and contingency planning in the event any changes to future conferences are needed. For more information, please click here.
- Check out the news and reporting from Virtual ISPOR 2020. From ISPOR news releases to reporting from media partners and other news outlets, the Virtual ISPOR 2020 News Desk curates’ stories on cutting-edge topics from the conference.
- ISPOR Outstanding Regional Chapter Award – Recognizes outstanding contributions and leadership of ISPOR Regional Chapters in advancing the ISPOR mission in ISPOR global regions. Recognized with the 2020 ISPOR Outstanding Regional Chapter Award are ISPOR Mexico Chapter, ISPOR Mongolia Chapter, and ISPOR Austria Chapter. Congratulations to this year’s recipients for their exceptional contribution and leadership in advancing the ISPOR mission in ISPOR global regions.
Recent ISPOR Webinars to All Members and Non-Members
- Chapter Leader Training 2020– These interactive trainings are designed for ISPOR Regional Chapter and ISPOR Consortium leaders to support capacity building and leadership development. The trainings equip ISPOR leaders with techniques to be successful in their ISPOR leadership roles while providing information on recent trends related to HEOR methodology or health policy in the global regions.
Trainings in 2020:
- La visión del Líder: Medicina Basada en Valor y la formación en Liderazgo – April 28, 2020. 9:00 AM EST. presented in Spanish. – Click here to see the recorded webinar
- Role of Digital Therapeutics in Reshaping the Future of Healthcare – July 15, 2020. 8:00 AM EST. A link to the recorded webinar will be made available shortly on Chapter Leadership training webinar webpage.
- The third webinar in the 2020 Chapter Leadership Training series will be held in December, topic and dates to be announced.
- Patient-Focused Webinars:
- Patient Reported Outcomes in Asia Pacific: Opportunity and Challenges – August 3, 2020. 8:15 AM EDT. The webinar will feature speakers from Japan, Taiwan, and Hong Kong who will discuss the importance, strengths, and limitations of patient-reported outcomes. Register here.
- Currently available, is the on-demand recording of the webinar, “Patient-Preference Information: What It Is and What It Is Not,” held on March 4. This educational event provided background information on patient-preference information—which will be useful, but not required—for Virtual ISPOR-FDA Summit attendance. You can view that free-of-charge webinar here and access the PDF slide deck here. Please note that the webinar is free of charge, but login is required.
- The ISPOR Health Preference Research Special Interest Group presented on June 8 an educational webinar titled “Why and How to Use Qualitative Research Methods in Conjunction with Discrete Choice Experiments in Healthcare”. The full recording is available here.
- Global Experiences with the Use of HTA for Health Benefit Packages Development
August 26, 2020 | 8:00AM-9:15AM EDT
This webinar will feature expert speakers from Latin America, Asia Pacific, and EMEA and will discuss the role of HTA in universal healthcare. Register here.
Sponsored Webinars – Use the power of ISPOR’s research to bring your message directly to the global HEOR community. ISPOR’s sponsored webinars provide a unique opportunity to reach and educate a targeted audience of HEOR researchers and decision makers. For more information contact Sean Gormley, Associate Director, Exhibits and Meeting Partnerships at: email@example.com
- Join us at Virtual ISPOR Europe 2020!
ISPOR Europe 2020 is being redesigned as a virtual conference. The full conference program will be announced soon. Virtual ISPOR Europe 2020 themed “Improving Health: Establishing Incentives and Sharing Value,” where the questions of fundamental conventions around value, risk, rewards, and the role of public and private sectors, in the shadow of a global pandemic will be explored. Participate in transforming healthcare decision making. Register here.
- ISPOR Asia Pacific 2020 Goes Virtual | 14-16 September
The Virtual ISPOR Asia Pacific 2020 event is specially designed for the Asia Pacific region and time zones. The conference, “Next Generation Healthcare in Asia Pacific: Where Technology Meets Patients to Improve Care,” will explore the impact of COVID-19 on the region, the role of HEOR in precision medicine, and patient access to high-cost interventions. Additional information and updates can be found on the website
- ISPOR-FDA Summit 2020 Is Now Virtual | September 29
The ISPOR-FDA Summit 2020 has been rescheduled for September 29 as a virtual event. The Summit, “Using Patient-Preference Information in Medical Device Regulatory Decisions: Benefit-Risk and Beyond,” is jointly sponsored by ISPOR and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH). Registration is complimentary.
- ISPOR Short Course Program Is Now Virtual
The ISPOR Short Course Program is now virtual and offering a number of high-interest HEOR courses in July.
- July 27, 2020 | New: Introduction to Machine Learning Methods
- July 30, 2020 | Causal Inference and Causal Diagrams in Big, Real-World Observational Data and Pragmatic Trials
For more information and to register go here.
- ISPOR Announces 2020-2021 Board of Directors – ISPOR announced the results of its recent elections and its 2020-2021 Board of Directors. The Society’s membership selected its new president-elect and directors with the 2020-2021 board assuming office on July 1, 2020.More here.
- Call for Member Contributions to COVID-19 News Page ISPOR’s COVID-19 News aggregates a selection of related content of interest to HEOR professionals and others in healthcare, and we encourage members to submit their news and ongoing research activities related to COVID-19.
New ISPOR Special Interest Group Reports:
- ISPOR Patient Centered Special Interest Group Publishes Article on Definition of “Patient Engagement in Research”– The ISPOR Patient Centered Special Interest Group published an ISPOR Report titled “Defining Patient Engagement in Research: Results of a Systematic Review and Analysis: Report of the ISPOR Patient-Centered Special Interest Group” [Editor’s Choice] in the June issue ofValue in Health. Through a coordinated effort amongst the authors including patients, researchers, decision-makers, and industry representatives, this study identified themes within existing definitions related to patient engagement and proposes a consensus definition of “patient engagement in research.” Click here to read the full article.
- ISPOR Precision Medicine and Advanced Therapies Special Interest Group Publishes Article on Value Frameworks – The ISPOR Precision Medicine and Advanced Therapies Special Interest Group published “Being Precise About Precision Medicine: What Should Value Frameworks Incorporate to Address Precision Medicine? A Report of The Personalized Precision Medicine Special Interest Group” in the May issue ofValue in Health. The article is featured as part of the themed section on precision medicine, and states that various stakeholder groups (eg, developers, regulators, payers, providers, patients) view the value attributes associated with precision medicine in different ways, not all of which are reflected in value assessment models. Click here to read the full article.
- New Definition of Health Technology Assessment – ISPOR participated in the development of the new HTA definition through an international collaboration co-led by INAHTA and HTAi with HTAsiaLink, EUnetHTA, RedETSA, ISPOR English Editorial Board of the HTA Glossary, and the WHO. To read the definition, click here. To read the full paper, click here.
New Task Force Initiated:
Joint HTAi – ISPOR Deliberative Processes for HTA Good Practices Task Force
ISPOR is collaborating with HTAi, a global, non-profit, scientific and professional society with HTA expertise and experience to address a gap in global decision making. The task force’s goal is to develop a consensus definition for a deliberative process from an HTA perspective and internationally recognized good practice recommendations on the use of deliberative processes in HTA. For more information, visit the task force webpage.
Dialogue with Decision Makers
- Virtual ISPOR 18th Patient Representatives Roundtable – North America – The ISPOR Patient Representatives Roundtable-North America convened on June 15 to discuss incorporating patient-generated health data (PGHD) to inform healthcare decision making related to health technology assessment (HTA), value assessment, pricing, coverage, and reimbursement decisions. More than 45 representatives from various patient organizations, payers and HTA bodies, research organizations, government, and the pharmaceutical industry shared their perspectives; including the Arthritis Foundation, Sick Cells, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, ICER and US FDA. For more information, click here.
- Virtual ISPOR 49th HTA-Pharmacy & Therapeutics (P&T) Roundtable – North America – Representatives from CADTH, ICER, various US health insurers, and many other organizations involved in HTA across North America met on June 23 to discuss the challenges and opportunities related to COVID-19. Discussion focused on the increase in expedited regulatory approvals, ultra-rapid reviews, and the impact this has on the healthcare system. This same group of stakeholders will meet on July 23 for the second part of the HTA Roundtable to discuss the management of digital therapeutics. For more information, click here.
- The Health Science Policy Council advises the Board of Directors on key research issues in the field of health economics and outcomes research. The council is made up of past presidents, Avedis Donabedian award winners, HEOR experts, and other ISPOR council and consortium chairs. ISPOR is now looking to include 3 mid-career members with demonstrated contributions to both HEOR and ISPOR. If you are interested in joining this esteemed council for a term lasting until mid-2022, are a current ISPOR member, and have 6-14 years of experience in the HEOR field, please click here.
Make sure your ISPOR membership status is up to date! In addition to many benefits that ISPOR membership provides, having an active membership status is an ISPOR compliance requirement for leaders of ISPOR global groups, including networks/consortia chairs and leaders of Regional Chapters. Go to ISPOR membership (click on the green button “Join/Renew” to check your profile and renew if your membership has expired.
- If your Chapter is planning a regional event and ISPOR Chapter logo will be placed on promotional materials, please make sure to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request your updated ISPOR Regional Chapter logo! As part of ISPOR’s branding initiative, the branded logos for ISPOR Regional Chapters have been designed to identify the group’s relationship with ISPOR and provide a professional image to the group that is reflective of ISPOR’s brand, mission, and vision. The logo of the Society cannot be used for local activities organized by the Chapters!
There is more!
To learn about the latest HEOR news in (Asia Pacific / Latin America) and read about activities and initiatives of ISPOR global groups in the (Asia Pacific / Latin America) regions, please access the July 2020 issues of News Across Asia-Pacific / July 2020 issue of News Across Latin America.
ISPOR News Across provides a valuable platform for information sharing for readers and advertisers alike. The ISPOR News Across editions are highly read by our ISPOR members and key opinion leaders globally, and there are opportunities to participate by advertising digitally in these publications in 2 different formats – 1) a horizontal banner (600×180 pixels) at $800, or 2) a small rectangle (300×250 pixels) at $500. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
ABOUT ISPOR GLOBAL NETWORKS – EMEA
ISPOR Global Networks EMEA represents regional groups affiliated with ISPOR that promote research, development and practice focusing on the advancement of health economics and outcomes research in Europe, Middle East, and Africa through educational, research, and policy-related activities to improve decision making for health. ISPOR Global Networks – EMEA encompasses 2 regional networks: Arabic and Africa, and Central & Eastern Europe Consortium, 41 Regional Chapters and works with close to 5000 members representing research, academia, industry, health care policy makers, regulators, health economists and patients in this global region.
ISPOR, the professional society for Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR), is an international, multi-stakeholder, nonprofit dedicated to advancing HEOR excellence to improve decision making for health globally. The society is the leading source for scientific conferences, peer-reviewed and MEDLINE®-indexed publications, good practices guidance, education, collaboration, and tools/resources in the field.