Welcome to the April issue of News Across Latin America the quarterly publication for Latin America Consortium news.
In this issue, we will provide you with all of the details of what you can expect to experience during ISPOR 2018 in Baltimore, MD, USA. Register before April 10, 2018 and save!
This year the conference title is “Real-World Evidence, Digital Health, and the New Landscape for Health Decision Making.” ISPOR 2018 will take place at the Baltimore Convention Center during May 19-23, 2018. We are also preparing great networking opportunities and activities dedicated to the Latin America region. Be sure to check out the “ISPOR Latin America Consortium Events” section of this newsletter for full details.
Please enjoy the featured article, “Understanding Healthcare in Latin America: The Case of Uruguay’s Health System”, along with the latest news, accomplishments, and updates from around the Latin America region. Also included, are educational activities and conferences organized by local chapters.
Additionally, we invite you to participate in the 2018-2020 Latin America Consortium nominations process for Chair-elect positions of all working committees. Newly elected leaders will be officially announced during the ISPOR Latin America Consortium Business Meeting on Monday, May 21, 2018 during ISPOR 2018 in Baltimore.
Finally, we encourage you to check out ISPOR initiatives such as the Chapter Leadership Training Program, and the ISPOR Chapter Award Program that gives recognition to you and your valuable collaboration with ISPOR. You can find more details in this issue on how to participate.
We hope you enjoy this April edition. As always, we welcome your comments and thoughts. You can email us at email@example.com. Share this newsletter with your colleagues and contacts and remember to be part of the conversation by using the hashtag #ISPORBALTIMORE.
Look forward to seeing you soon at ISPOR 2018!
ISPOR News Across Latin America Team
| Health Systems at a Glance:
| ISPOR 2018:
ISPOR 2018 will be focusing on “Real-World Evidence, Digital Health, and the New Landscape for Health Decision Making.” Over 2,100 presentations will be offered on a wide variety of topics relating to HEOR.
To have an idea of what you can expect in this meeting we invite you to watch – The Highlights from the ISPOR 2017, Boston, MA, USA last year.
- First Plenary Session: Monday, May 21, 2018 – 8:30 AM – 10:30 AM
INFLECTION POINT FOR REAL-WORLD EVIDENCE? THE TRANSFORMATIONAL ROLE OF DIGITAL HEALTH
- Second Plenary Session: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 – 8:30 AM – 10:30 AM
DIGITAL HEALTH – HELP OR HYPE?
- Third Plenary Session: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 – 10:00 AM – 11:45 AM
EXAMINING THE ROLE OF PATIENT PREFERENCES TO INFORM REGULATORY DECISIONS
Short Course Program:
Advance your career through the ISPOR Essential HEOR Education Short Course Program that will be offered at the conference on Saturday and Sunday May 19-20, 2018. Come for the courses; stay for the conference! The program will be offering 37 half- and full-day courses in HEOR that include 11 new course topics and options for every professional level. Faculty includes experts in HEOR from around the globe. To view the complete list of short courses presented at ISPOR 2018 by date, track, level or instructor click here.
Spots are filling up quick, sign up today!
| ISPOR Latin America Consortium Events:
Monday, May 21st, 2018
- 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm – ISPOR Latin America Consortium Business Meeting (All are welcome!)
- 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm – ISPOR Global Networks Reception- Meet with members of ISPOR Consortia in Latin America, Asia and Central Eastern Europe, as well as ISPOR Networks in the Middle East and Africa, to exchange knowledge, share experiences, and learn about ISPOR global groups during this joint event. (All meeting delegates who are interested are welcome)
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2018
- 6:15 pm – 7:15 pm – Forum: New developments of value-based payment arrangements and value demonstration in Latin American health systems (Presented by Latin America Consortium, all are welcome)
|ISPOR Students and New Professionals:
Student webinars are also now open for registration!
Wednesday, April 18th, 2018
- 11:30 am to 12:30 pm –ISPOR Student Webinar – Innovation and Value Initiative’s (IVI) Open Source Value Project
Devin Incerti, PhD, Lead Economist, Open Source Value Project, the Innovation and Value Initiative (IV), San Francisco, CA, USA
If you miss a student Webinar and would like to access the information presented we invite you to visit the Student Webinar archives page by clicking here and selecting the topic of your interest.
- New This Year! ISPOR Virtual and Onsite Job Board at ISPOR 2018 in Baltimore – We are excited to announce ISPOR’s first onsite job board at the upcoming ISPOR 2018 scheduled for May 19-23, 2018 in Baltimore, MD.
Sunday, May 20th, 2018:
- 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm – ISPOR Student Research Competition
(Link to sign up: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ISPORResearchCompetition2018 )
- 8:30 – 9:30pm – ISPOR Student & Faculty Advisor Reception
Monday, May 21st, 2018:
- 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm – ISPOR Student Research Showcase
- 2:00 pm- 3:00 pm – ISPOR New Professional Event: Career Advice Across the Globe
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2018:
- 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm – Student Roundtable Event
The New Professional membership officially reached the one-year mark and now has 400 members globally!
See the full map of Student Chapters , and the student chapters in Latin America. If you do not see your university and want to form a student chapter, please complete the ISPOR Student Chapter application and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
| ISPOR Latin America Consortium Updates:
- 2018-2020 CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: ISPOR Latin America Consortium Committees –Members of the ISPOR Latin America Consortium are encouraged to participate in the 2018-2020 leadership elections for the Consortium Education Committee, Health Technology Producers (Industry) Committee, and Publication Committee, please access the nomination survey by clicking here.
- The ISPOR Code of Ethics 2017 was published in the December 2017 issue of Value in Health. Many of the updates are intended to better address issues that have arisen in the era of today’s rapidly evolving digital heath environment. To learn more please visit: ISPOR Code of Ethics 2017 (4th Edition)
- ISPOR Chapter Leadership Training Program is officially inaugurated! With a webinar on Tuesday, April 3rd, 2018 from 8:00 am-9:00 am EST. The webinar is open to ISPOR Chapter leaders (Chapter Presidents and Board Members) and it will introduce ISPOR regional chapter leadership to best practices in governance and engagement based on the newly released ISPOR Chapter Leadership Handbook. This webinar will also prepare participants for the upcoming ISPOR Chapter Leader Retreat that will be assembled at ISPOR 2018 in Baltimore, MD, USA on May 21st, 2018. To join this webinar on April 3rd, please refer to the following information: Register for the Webinar.
- Chapter Leadership Training Workshop at ISPOR Baltimore
The new ISPOR Chapter Leader Training Program will be continued with an in-person training workshop on Monday, May 21st, 2018 from 5:15 pm to 7:15 pm at ISPOR 2018 in Baltimore, MD, USA. The training will prepare the chapter leaders with in-depth information on ways to get involved in various ISPOR activities, on ISPOR chapter governance and management requirements, and learn from peers on successful approaches to member engagement, leadership succession, training, stakeholder involvement, etc. To register for the event, the chapter leaders are welcomed to contact their chapter liaisons in the respective ISPOR Global Networks region [Latin America (Laconsortium@ispor.org), Asia-Pacific (email@example.com), and EMEA (firstname.lastname@example.org)].
- ISPOR Regional Chapter Handbook – is an online resource available to ISPOR regional Chapters leadership as a guide to help them succeed in their roles. For electronic access, please click here.
- ISPOR wants to recognize the efforts and outstanding contributions of ISPOR Regional Chapters which is why ISPOR has created the ISPOR Chapter Award program that will recognize Chapters in 3 Categories (small, medium, and large). Criteria and processes to participate are available by clicking here. Good luck to all!
| ISPOR Health Technology Assessment (HTA) Training Program
- ISPOR HTA Training Program – Assessment of Value will be held in Lima, Peru from 23rd-26th July 2018. To learn more about this activity and get details please visit: ISPOR HTA Training Program, Lima, Peru. Early registration ends June 23rd, 2018. Register now here!
| Latin America Regional Chapter News
- We are happy to announce that ISPOR Board of Directors approved the Regional Constitution of the Central America and Caribbean Regional Chapter that includes the following countries: Costa Rica, Belize, Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panamá, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Cuba. Congratulations to the Central America and Caribbean Regional Chapter! We are sure that this decision will bring to the region great opportunities to have a larger presence, enabling an engaging an appropriate position in continuing the advancement of the science of HEOR. If you are located in, one of the countries mentioned above and would like to participate and be part of the activities of the ISPOR Central America and Caribbean Chapter please contact them at email@example.com. We encourage you to get involved.
- ISPOR Mexico Chapter celebrated its 5th annual seminar atthe XXI Century National Medical Center in Mexico City, Mexico this March 8-10, 2018. The event was titled “Health Technology Assessment a Bridge toward Efficiency and Excellence.” The seminar had more than 200 attendees and international and local speakers participate during the three-day event discussing how to improve healthcare decision making in the country. Among them were Dr. Manuel Espinoza S, Dr. Ruben Rojas, Dr. Jesús Ancer Rodríguez, Dr. Cesar Alberto Cruz, Mtra. Rosa María Galindo Suárez, Dr. Ramiro Gilardino, and others. Additionally, the ISPOR Chapter Mexico received a plaque acknowledging 12 years of advancement of the science of HEOR in the country. To learn more about this event we invite you to visit the page of the ISPOR Mexico chapter and watch the event’s videos here.
- ISPOR Peru Chapter presented the conference “Economic use of medical devices in decision-making” this past March 21st, 2018 at the ARC-PER Auditorium in Lima, Peru. Rosina Hinojosa Ramírez, MHE, MFin, President of the ISPOR Peru Chapter delivered the presentation to the attendees. To learn more about this event, click on the following link to view the program.
- Ángela Chaves, member of the board of the ISPOR Colombia Chapter was recently appointed as the first Chair for the ISPOR Patient Representatives Roundtable (PRR) – Latin America. She also has been nominated for the award as the Colombian Woman of the Year (Mujer del Año Cafam). Her voice in the Colombian Congress was essential for the approval of the Law for Rare Diseases in 2011. Congratulations Ángela! We invite you to learn more about the ISPOR Patient Representatives Roundtable and their activities by clicking here
- ISPOR Ecuador Chapter will be holding two meetings on March 17 and 31, 2018 with its chapter members to communicate the status of the activities of the chapter in 2018. To learn more please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
VALUE IN HEALTH REGIONAL ISSUES
- Now indexed in PubMed/Medline. This great news allows published content to be more accessible, searchable, and citable to researchers around the world!
- Value in Health Regional Issues.
Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Everolimus versus Mycophenolate in Kidney Transplant Recipients Receiving No Pharmacological Prophylaxis for Cytomegalovirus Infection: A Short-Term Pharmacoeconomic.
This article in Value in Health Regional Issues by Felipe and colleagues reports on a pharmacological evaluation that was conducted to determine the cost-effectiveness of 3 immunosuppressive regimens in low- to moderate-immunological risk renal transplant recipients under the Brazilian public healthcare system who received no cytomegalovirus pharmacological prophylaxis.
- Value in Health: February 2018, Volume 21, Issue 2: Focusing on ISPOR’s Special Task Force publications on US Value Assessment Frameworks. Now available online!
- Guidance for manuscript submissions to Value in Health Regional Issues click here to learn more!
Get the App!
Click here to download the free Value in Health app from the iTunes store or Google Play store. Log in with your valueinhealthjournal.com password to gain access to articles. Access instructions and details:
- Download issues while reading: no need to wait
- Layouts and navigation get you to content you want more quickly and conveniently
- Interact with figures, tables, multimedia, and supplementary content
- Organize and manage content and storage on your device
|ISPOR’s New Initiatives:
- In 2018, ISPOR presented the new ISPOR Logo and branding elements. We invite you to watch the video ”The New ISPOR” that shows how ISPOR’s new logo connects members across borders, disciplines, and professions.
- ISPOR 2018 TOP 10 HEOR Trends recognizes the most influential topics in the field of HEOR for 2018-Download now!
We would like to thank and acknowledge the following members from the Latin America Consortium for their contribution on the development of the 2018 Top 10 HEOR Trends:
- Federico Augustovski, MD, MSc, PhD ISPOR President-Elect 2017-2018 / Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Diego Guarin Garcia, MD, MPH, MA Representative of ISPOR Latin America Consortium / Merck KGaA Bogotá, Colombia.
- Rafael Alfonso Cristancho, MD, PhD, MSc Representative of ISPOR Latin America Consortium / GlaxoSmithKline Collegeville, PA, USA
- J. Jaime Caro, MDCM, FRCPC Member, Health Science Policy Council and Co-Chair, Science / Research Committee Evidera Waltham, MA, USA
- Giustino Adesso, PharmD, MSc ISPOR President Venezuela Chapter/ Universidad Central de Venezuela
- Cesar Alberto Cruz Santiago, PhD, MD, MSc ISPOR President Mexico Chapter /PEMEX Mexico City, Mexico
- Leonel Fonseca Retana, MSc, MBA, BSc ISPOR President Central America and Caribbean Chapter/ Instituto Tecnologico de Costa Rica
- Rosina Hinojosa, MSc, BSc, ISPOR President Peru Chapter
- Aurelio Mejía, MSc, BEc Chair of the ISPOR HTA Roundtable – Latin America / Instituto Evaluacion Tecnologica Salud, Bogotá, Colombia
- Diego Rosselli, MD, MSc, Med ISPOR President Colombia Chapter/ Pontificia Universidad Javeriana Bogota, Colombia.
|Upcoming ISPOR Meeting:
- ISPOR 2018 – Baltimore, USA – Early Registration deadline: April 10, 2018.
- ISPOR Asia Pacific 2018 – Tokyo, Japan – Early Registration Deadline: July 17, 2018
- ISPOR Dubai 2018 – Dubai, UAE – Early Registration deadline: August 7, 2018.
- ISPOR Europe 2018 – Barcelona, Spain – Abstract Submission closes June 13, 2018.
Are you involved with ISPOR Latin America Consortium activities but are not an ISPOR member yet?
Becoming a member of the professional society for health economics and outcomes research, (HEOR) has many advantages. Join ISPOR Now, and become part of a global collaborative HEOR community and contribute to improving health care decision making around the world!
As an ISPOR member, you will help to promote HEOR excellence and to improve health care decision making around the world. To learn more about ISPOR and membership benefits – view ISPOR’s New Member 101 webinar. For questions contact email@example.com.
ISPOR Global Fellowship Directory and Global Internship Directory – New and exclusive member benefit! Two new online resources for fellowships and internships for health economics and outcomes researchers. Visit ISPOR Career Center to explore more opportunities in the HEOR field.
ISPOR, the professional society for Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR), is an international, multi-stakeholder, nonprofit dedicated to advancing HEOR excellence to improve decision making for health globally. The society is the leading source for scientific conferences, peer-reviewed and MEDLINE®-indexed publications, good practices guidance, education, collaboration, and tools/resources in the field.
Have any questions or comments? firstname.lastname@example.org