We are delighted to share with you the Year End / New Year issue of News Across Latin America. This edition highlights the ISPOR 6th Latin America Conference, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 15-17 September 2017 and the Latin America Global Networks involvement during ISPOR’s 20th Annual European Congress in Glasgow, Scotland, 4-8 November 2017. Also, find in this issue important content from the Latin America region, new ISPOR initiatives and members’ accomplishments, as well as educational activities and conferences organized by the ISPOR Chapters.
Additionally, learn the value of ISPOR membership benefits including various opportunities to participate and engage with ISPOR initiatives. Contribute on HEOR excellence and improve health care decision making globally!
We hope you enjoy this issue and we welcome your comments and thoughts by emailing us at- email@example.com
Our wishes go out to all our members for a successful 2018. Thank you for your contributions during 2017 to advance the science of HEOR!
The Editors- ISPOR News Across Latin America.
I The Biggest HEOR event in Latin America- ISPOR 6th Latin America Conference, São Paulo Brazil.
2017 was a great year for the Latin America Consortium. One of the big highlights of the year was the ISPOR 6th Latin American Conference. The conference was celebrated during September 15-17, 2017 in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The ISPOR 6th Latin American Conference was the biggest HEOR event in the Latin America region! More than 1050 attendees came together from 42 different countries including stakeholders from health ministries and government offices, health technology assessment bodies, public and private payers, researchers and academics, and patients and their representatives joined together and discussed how to improve the decision making process to increase access and deliver the best healthcare for the people.
The conference’s scientific sessions were centered on the theme, “Driving Better Health Outcomes through Stakeholder Engagement.” Scientific sessions included two plenary sessions. The first plenary session “Latin American Health Systems Reform: Opportunities and Challenges” which focused on the current status, related challenges, and future opportunities to build more sustainable and equitable health systems in Latin America, and the Second Plenary: “The Voice of the Patient: Hearing Their Perspective and Incorporating in the Decision-Making Process”. Which explored the challenges faced and opportunities available to more effectively bring the patient perspective into health care decision-making.
Additionally, valuable volunteers contributed to the outstanding program including 500 research presentations, 14 issue panels, 10 workshops, and 3 discussion forums that reflected the Latin American pers
pective in Health Economics and Outcomes Research. Thanks again to the Conference Co-Chairs Stephen Doral Stefani, Marcelo Fonseca, and Rosa Maria Galindo-Suarez on behalf of all volunteers involved in the Program Committee and to the ISPOR Board of Directors members Shelby Reed, Lou Garrison, Federico Augustovski and Nancy Berg. Also, Manuel Antonio Espinoza and Diego Rosselli on behalf of the Latin America Leadership for the great collaboration and for the content and development of #ISPORSaoPaulo, putting all stakeholders’ perspectives to improve healthcare decisions.
Along with all of this great content, an important announcement was made during the event about the next ISPOR Latin America Conference. An official announcement, made by Ramiro Gilardino, Director-Global Networks Latin America was presented that the 7th Latin America Conference will be held in Bogotá, Colombia in 2019! Expect to be amazed! More details will be coming soon to ISPOR.org
|ISPOR 22nd European Congress, Glasgow, Scotland-Latin America Activities Highlights
More than 100 people from the Latin America region attended the ISPOR 22nd European congress, Glasgow, Scotland. The majority came from Brazil, Mexico and Colombia respectively.
During the ISPOR 20th Annual European Congress, Glasgow, Scotland. The Latin America Consortium presented the forum “Could Multi-stakeholder Partnership Improve Patient Access to Better Healthcare in Latin America?” – Moderated by: Ramiro E. Gilardino, MD, MSc, Director, Global Networks Latin America, ISPOR, this forum had the participation of Diego F Guarin, MD, MPH, MA, Senior Director, HEOR & HTA Strategy Latin America, Merck-Serono,; Diego Rosselli, MD, Associate Professor, Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Department, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Bogota, Colombia; Federico Augustovski, MD, MSc, PhD, Director, Health Technology Assessment & Economic Evaluations Department, Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy (IECS), Professor of Public Health, University of Buenos Aire and Nicola Bedlington, Secretary General, European Patients’ Forum and Co-Founder, The Patient Access Partnership PACT, Brussels, Belgium. All of them presented their expert point of view and brought to the attendees an analysis and debate on how to engage multi-stakeholder collaboration to advance and improve patient access to basic and innovative health care and mitigate inequities among the people of our region. To learn more about this forum we invite you to visit the released forum presentation Page.
Students & New Professional Events during the ISPOR 20nd European Congress
ISPOR Student Research Showcase
Monday, 6 November, 12:45-13:45, Location: Lomond Auditorium
The Student Research Showcase session featured three outcomes research studies, conducted by ISPOR student members and presented during the ISPOR 20th Annual European Congress. Each student author provided a brief summary of the research study and conclusions followed by a discussion on how their research fits with the meeting theme of “Having a High Impact on The Evolution of Value in Health Care”.
Moderators: Zeba M. Khan, RPh, PhD, Vice President, Celgene Corporation, Summit, NJ, USA;
Laura Pizzi, PhD, Professor, College of Pharmacy, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Speakers: Junjie Ma, MSc, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA; Omer Ben-Aharon, MBA, MHA, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel; Fanni Soikkeli, University of Eastern Finland, Joensuu, Kuopio and Savonlinna, Finland;
ISPOR Career Advice Across The Globe – “The Art of Getting Published” Monday, November 6, 15:00-16:00, Location: Alsh (Loch Suite)
Building on the success of the Career Advice Across The Globe event that took place in Boston at the Annual International Meeting, this was the first New Professional event hosted during a European Congress. The event highlighted the topic of good practices and opportunities to get your research published. Speakers provided global perspectives on how to stand out in the highly competitive world of having your research published.
Speakers: Lyn Beamesderfer, Associate Director, Publications & Communications, ISPOR; Dan Mullins, PhD, Professor & Chair, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore, MD, USA;
Diego Rosselli, MD, Associate Professor, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Bogota, Colombia; Dan Greenberg, PhD, Associate Professor & Chairman, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
ISPOR Student & New Professional Mixer Monday, November 6, 19:45-21:00 PM, Location: Mezzanine
All Students, Faculty, and New Professional members were welcomed to attend! One of the main goals of the ISPOR Student Network and the New Professional membership was to increase the connection and collaboration among individuals in the field of HEOR. For the first time ISPOR hosted a joint mixer to allow for sharing of experiences and ideas between attendees who have recently entered the work force and students who will benefit from increased networking connections!
| ISPOR Latin America Consortium Updates
- Abstract submissions for ISPOR 23rd Annual International Meeting, Baltimore, MD USA are open! The abstract submission deadline is Wednesday, January 17, 2018. If you want to know what to expect for the Annual International Meeting, view last year’s video highlights, photo gallery, plenary session videos, and released presentations.
- April 10, 2018 Early Discounted Registration Ends 23rd Annual International Meeting—Baltimore Meeting Information >>
- Preparing for 2018. We invite you to participate and submit the Chapter annual Report for 2017, and work plans for next year! The ISPOR Chapter Annual Report submission deadline is January 30, 2018.
- ISPOR 8th Asia-Pacific Conference Tokyo, Japan—Abstract Submission Now Open Through March 14, 2018.
VALUE IN HEALTH REGIONAL ISSUES
- Now indexed in PubMed/Medline. This great news allows for published content to be more accessible, searchable, and citable to researchers around the world!
- Value in Health Regional Issues. Volume 14, December 2017 – Focusing on Latin America. Now Available Online!
- Guidance for manuscript submissions toValue in Health Regional Issues click here to learn more!
- New ISPOR Book of Terms in Development—Contribute to the Updated Edition
The Society is updating its best-selling textbook, Health Care Quality, Cost, and Outcomes: ISPOR Book of Terms. The Editors invite you to go online to contribute new terms for the updated edition. Deadline to Submit terms is January 19, 2018.
- Call for News. We welcome remarkable content focusing on Chapter activities in health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) in Latin America// Submit articles for review and publication to News Across Latin America to firstname.lastname@example.org
Join a Review Group
Become part of an ISPOR Task Force or Special Interest Review Group. Reviewer comments contribute to ISPOR’s high quality consensus-developed publications and online tools. To learn more about these working groups, visit ISPOR Task Forces or ISPOR Special Interest Groups. Questions can be emailed to email@example.com.
ISPOR New Initiatives
- ISPOR Regional Chapter Handbook it is an online resource available to ISPOR regional Chapters leadership as a guide to help them succeed in their roles. For electronic access, please click here. Additional details are coming soon!
- ISPOR Chapter Leadership Training Program is in development and is expected to be launched in 2018, and will take place during ISPOR’s 23rd Annual international Meeting in Baltimore, MD, USA and during the 21st Annual European congress in Barcelona, Spain. More information and details will be shared!
- ISPOR wants to recognize the efforts and outstanding contributions of ISPOR Regional Chapters which is why ISPOR has created the ISPOR Chapter Award program that will recognize Chapters in 3 Categories (small, medium, and large). Criteria and process to participate will be shared with all the chapters. Good luck to all!
Student Information & New Professionals
- Are you a student or have recently graduated from an HEOR related program? Find ISPOR Student Chapter in your region, connect with the Chapter President, or form a new chapter at your university. To learn more visit ISPOR Student Network
| Latin America Consortia and Regional Chapters: News & Activities
REGIONAL CHAPTERS //
- Welcome to Camila Quirland Lazo, RPh, MSc – New President ISPOR Chile Chapter, and the new leadership of the Chapter!
- ISPOR is pleased to congratulate the ISPOR Colombia Chapter for their 10th year anniversary promoting the science of Health Economics and outcome research in Colombia and Latin America. The Colombian chapter celebrated this important milestone by holding an educational event on November 1st from 4:00 -8:00 pm at the Medical Club in Bogota, Colombia. The Chapter also presented the seminar “Decision-making algorithms in biotechnological medicines” on November 22, 2017 with the participation of Dr. Andres Suluaga Salazar. Watch the ISPOR’s congratulations video to the ISPOR Colombian chapter here.
- During 20th European Congress Diego Rosselli, MD was awarded by the 10-year anniversary of the Colombian Chapter. Congratulations for their outstanding trajectory and promoting the science of HEOR!
- On December 5th, the ISPOR Brazil Chapter held their 6th ISPOR Brazil Chapter meeting that took place in the World Trade Center in São Paulo, Brazil, more information could be found in Brazil Chapter webpage
Latin America News:
- ISPOR is pleased to congratulate the Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy (IECS) for their 15-year anniversary! Picture below: Federico Augustovski – Director of HTA and Economic Evaluations Department, Dr. Ramiro Gilardino, ISPOR & Dr. Andres Pichon-Riviera, Executive Director.
- On behalf of their 10th anniversary, Cuenta de Alto Costo held an International Forum entitled “Challenges for Risk Management”, one of the main focuses was “Real World Data that produce evidence to support decision making process”. Dr. Ramiro Gilardino, ISPOR’s Director for Global Networks Latin America, presented the regional perspectives and challenges on the topic and pointed to the importance of Good Practices for Real‐World Data Studies of Treatment and/or Comparative Effectiveness: Recommendations from the Joint ISPOR‐ISPE Special Task Force on Real‐World Evidence in Health Care Decision Making. Visit ISPOR/ISPE Collaborative Task Force on Real‐World Evidence in Health Care Decision Making here
|Upcoming ISPOR Meeting:
Are you involved with ISPOR Latin America Consortium but you are not an ISPOR member yet?
Becoming an ISPOR member of the global scientific and educational organization for health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) has many advantages. Join ISPOR Now, and become part of a global collaborative HEOR community and contribute to improving health care decision making around the world!
The International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) is a nonprofit, international, educational and scientific organization that promotes health economics and outcomes research excellence to improve decision making for health globally. www.ispor.org
Have questions or comments? firstname.lastname@example.org