Welcome to the April issue of News Across Latin America, the quarterly publication for the ISPOR Latin America Consortium. In this issue, we will provide you information on recent HEOR regional news – including ISPOR regional chapter news and events, as well as information on upcoming ISPOR Latin America Consortium events, ISPOR 2019 activities, and the ISPOR Latin America 2019 conference.
ISPOR 2019 will address the topic “Rapid. Disruptive. Innovative: A New Era in HEOR” and will take place at the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, in New Orleans, LA, USA this May 18-22, 2019. Learning opportunities, networking, and staying up-to-date in the HEOR field are awaiting you at this conference. We are also preparing great networking opportunities and activities dedicated to the Latin America region. Be sure to check out the ISPOR Latin America Consortium Events section of this newsletter for full details. Also included are educational activities and conferences organized by local chapters.
The ISPOR Latin America 2019 conference is fast approaching, with the theme “Data and Value in Healthcare: 2020 and Beyond.” There will be 10 cutting edge short courses, including 3 new courses: Evaluation of Medical Devices: “How to Manage HTAs,” “Introduction to Real-World Evidence: Between Epidemiology and Digital Tools,” and “Introduction to Machine Learning.” There will also be 2 plenary sessions on “The Role of Data Supporting an Effective Decision-Making Process” and “Value Measurement in 2020: Moving Forward in Low- to Middle-Income Countries.” We welcome you to learn more about the conference and encourage you to register by the early registration deadline (30 July 2019).
Stay in touch with us and remember to update your profile and your communication preferences on our new website, if you have not done so already. Instructions on how to update your profile can also be found in this issue.
We hope you enjoy this April edition. As always, we welcome your comments and thoughts. You can email us at email@example.com. Share this newsletter with your colleagues and contacts and remember to be part of the conversation for the upcoming conferences using the following hashtags: #ISPORAnnual (for ISPOR 2019), #ISPORLA (for ISPOR Latin America 2019), and #ISPOREurope (for ISPOR Europe 2019).
We look forward to seeing you soon at ISPOR 2019!
ISPOR News Across Latin America Team
Table of Contents:
| Regional News
| ISPOR Member News
ISPOR Latin America Consortium Events at ISPOR 2019
ISPOR Latin America 2019
| About ISPOR Global Networks
| Regional News:
- There will be 2 free webinars on MCDA – you may register at the below links:
- The Use of MCDA for HTA Agencies
Date and Time: Wednesday, April 3, 2019, 11:00AM EDT
- MCDA – How to Guide of Different Methods for Assessment of Rare Disease HT
Date and Time: Thursday, April 4, 2019, 11:00AM EDT
- The Use of MCDA for HTA Agencies
If you are unable to attend, the recorded webinar will be posted online with 2 weeks.
- ISPOR Central America and the Caribbean (CAC) Chapter hosted their 3rd Conference this March 14-15, 2019 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The topics of this event included: Social Protection and Incorporation of Health Technologies, Analysis of Health Economics, and Introduction of the HPV vaccine in Costa Rica, High-Cost Medicine and the Dominican Republic’s experience among other HEOR relevant topics for the Central America and Caribbean region. The event had the participation of key authorities of the host country and leaders of the ISPOR Latin American Consortia. A research podium session and poster session as well as other activities in different presentation formats complemented the conference. If you want to learn more about this activity and if you are in the Central America and Caribbean region and would like to get involved with the chapter, we invite you to visit the ISPOR CAC Chapter website for more information.
- ISPOR Mexico Chapter celebrated its 6th annual seminar in Mexico City, Mexico this March 14-16, 2019. The seminar was focused on “Health Economics: A Tool Towards Universalization and Access Equity.” This event brought together key stakeholders from Mexico and Latin America and had the participation of Nancy J. Devlin, PhD, ISPOR President-Elect. We invite you to visit the webpage of the ISPOR Mexico chapter to learn more about this event and other chapter activities!
- ISPOR Colombia Chapter invited its members to get together on March 27, 2019 at 6:00 pm. The event took place at the new building “Fundación Santa Fe” in Bogota, Colombia. The chapter will present the activities celebrated during 2018 and new projects for 2019, for more information and to reserve a seat contact the chapter at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The process to assemble the ISPOR Brazil Chapter began in 2005 during the European meeting. At the time, only five delegates from Brazil were present at the event. Since its inception the development of the chapter has been significant, with two Latin American meetings (Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo) with more than 1,000 attendees and dozens of scientific presentations. The inclusion of different stakeholders like private payers, government, academia and industry increased audience participation in local meetings and stimulated communications through other channels such as social media. The 2019 goal is to foster projects and meetings during international events, bringing discussions that are relevant for the current Brazilian environment. Our plans involve increasing contribution in Value in Health Regional Issues and the Brazilian Journal of Health Economics (JBES). We are looking forward to planning our next meeting in Brazil in 2020. To get involved with the ISPOR Brazil Chapter and learn more about our current activities, contact the chapter at: email@example.com
Please send us information on upcoming HEOR events in the region for inclusion in future issues of News Across Latin America: firstname.lastname@example.org.
| ISPOR Member News:
ISPOR 2019 “Rapid. Disruptive. Innovative: A New Era in HEOR.” will feature three thought-provoking plenary sessions and more than 2100 presentations in the form of workshops, issue panels, forums, symposia, and podium and poster presentations on innovative research methods, health policy development using outcomes research, patient preferences, real-world data, and clinical-, economic-, and patient-reported outcomes.
In addition, ISPOR offers a series of pre-meeting short (training) courses on trending HEOR topics. ISPOR short courses range from introductory to advanced, and are taught by leading experts in the field, with many incorporating group exercises and hands-on training opportunities.
To have an idea of what you can expect in this meeting we invite you to watch–The Highlights from the ISPOR 2018, Baltimore, MD, USA last year and the photo gallery.
|ISPOR Latin America Consortium Events:
Monday, May 20, 2019
- ISPOR Latin America Consortium Business Meeting (All are welcome!) Learn about HEOR and health policy updates from around the region, as well as ISPOR Latin America activities and events. | 12:30 – 1:45 pm EDT
- ISPOR Global Networks Booth Event “Global Networks: Explore the Benefits of Transitioning From Conference Registrant to Member” (All are welcome!) | 3:15 – 4:15 pm EDT
- ISPOR Chapter Leader Workshop “What Makes a Good Leader and Why It Matters” (by invitation only) | 5:15 – 7:15 pm EDT
- ISPOR Global Networks Reception– Meet with members of ISPOR Consortia in Latin America, Asia and Central Eastern Europe, as well as ISPOR Networks in the Middle East and Africa, to exchange knowledge, share experiences, and learn about ISPOR global groups during this joint event. (All meeting delegates who are interested are welcome) | 7:30 – 9:00 pm EDT
ISPOR Students and New Professionals Events:
Sunday, May 19, 2019
- Student Research Competition (Open to all) | 5 – 7 pm EDT
- Student & Faculty Icebreaker Reception (Open to all) | 7 – 8 pm EDT
Monday, May 20, 2019
- Student Research Spotlight | 3:30 – 4:30 pm EDT
- New Professional Event – Career Advice Across the Globe: “Topic TBD” (Graduating Student members are welcome) | 5 – 6 pm EDT
Tuesday May 21, 2019
- New Professional Event – Career Advice Across the Globe (Open to New Professional members and graduating Student members) | 5 – 6 pm EDT
- See the full map of Student Chapters , and the student chapters in Latin America. If you do not see your university and want to form a student chapter, please complete the ISPOR Student Chapter application and email the completed form to email@example.com
- The new ISPOR Career Center is now optimized for you to access on any platform you choose – from desktops to tablets to smartphones and offers the ideal platform for candidates seeking the next step in their career and for employers looking for the most qualified HEOR professionals.
ISPOR Latin America 2019 will center on the theme, “Data and Value in Healthcare: 2020 and Beyond.” The conference will draw more than 1000 regional and international thought leaders and stakeholders in HEOR to share innovative research methods, and health policy developments using outcomes research, patient preferences, real-world data, and clinical, economic, and patient-reported outcomes. In addition, ISPOR Latin America 2019 will feature two plenary sessions and a series of pre-meeting short (training) courses of 10 courses including 3 new courses. ISPOR short courses range from introductory to advanced, and are taught by leading experts in the field, designed to enhance knowledge and techniques in core and trending HEOR topics.
Short Courses in ISPOR Latin America 2019
- Introduction to Health Economics
- Budget Impact Analysis for Health Decision Making in Latin America
- Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis
- NEW! Evaluation of Medical Devices: How to Manage HTAs
- Introduction to Modeling
- Applied Modeling
- Health-Related Quality-of-Life / Utility Measures
- NEW! Introduction to Real-World Evidence: Between Epidemiology and Digital Tools
- Network Meta-Analysis
- NEW! Introduction to Machine Learning
There will also be over 500 presentations featured including research posters, workshops, issue panels and special spotlight sessions. In conjunction with the Conference, there will be a one-day health policy summit as well as HTA and patient roundtables to spur dialogue among healthcare decision-makers and other stakeholders. These events will provide more opportunities for healthcare policymakers, payers and patients to get involved in the Conference and ISPOR Latin America. In addition, there will be ample opportunity for conference registrants to network with colleagues and share information on the latest scientific approaches through receptions and invitational meetings.
We are very pleased that the conference is supported by numerous leading institutions and agencies for health and research in the region, including Cuenta de Alto Costo, Colombia, CONITEC in Brazil and many others.
Many sponsorship opportunities for the conference remain, including exhibiting and event sponsorship. Secure your company’s presence at the leading HEOR event in Latin America! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
To register for the conference, learn about the speakers, and for further program information visit ISPOR Latin America 2019.
Register today and save (early registration deadline is 30 July 2019.)
Key Member Information
- ISPOR Travel Grants – the program supports attendance at the Society’s scientific conferences for eligible ISPOR members. Applications are now being accepted for the following ISPOR meetings in 2019:
- ISPOR Latin America 2019, 12-14 September, Bogota, Colombia: Application deadline is June 12, 2019 and notification is July 12, 2019.
- ISPOR Europe 2019, November 2-6, 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark: Application deadline is August 5, 2019 and notification is September 5, 2019.
To learn more about how the ISPOR Travel Grant Supports HEOR Professionals from Low- and Middle-Income Countries, click here.
- Your assistance is needed! ISPOR is interested in having references to the regional documents/guidance/other evidence sources where our knowledge products are being utilized at the local and national decision-making levels. If you have any knowledge of the use of the ISPOR Good Practice Task Force reports by governmental/regulatory bodies in your countries, we kindly ask you to send this information to: email@example.com
- ISPOR wants to recognize the efforts and outstanding contributions of ISPOR Regional Chapters which is why ISPOR has created the ISPOR Chapter Award program that will recognize Chapters in 3 Categories (small, medium, and large). Criteria and processes to participate for this year award are available by clicking here. Good luck to all!
- The ISPOR Regional Chapter Resource Center is a new online repository of information for Chapter leaders and members to assist them with Chapter development, e.g., membership, governance, policies, available training, recognition opportunities, dissemination, and communication, etc.
Creating an ISPOR User Profile:
What Do You Need to Do?
To activate your user profile, please:
- Visit the new, redesigned ISPOR website at ispor.org
- Click the green “Log in” button in the top right corner
- Enter your email address and password (your password will be your last name in lowercase [case sensitive])
- You will be requested to change your password
- Please use ‘Forgot Your Password’ to reset your password, if needed
Please take the time to create your ISPOR user profile and customize your communication preferences!
Upcoming ISPOR Meetings & Education:
New ISPOR Conference Hashtags – Starting for 2019 Conferences:
- #ISPORAnnual (for the annual ISPOR conference held in North America)
- #ISPOREurope (for ISPOR Europe)
- #ISPORAP (for ISPOR Asia Pacific)
- #ISPORLA (for ISPOR Latin America)
- #ISPORSummit (for ISPOR Summits)
- #ISPOR<<city name>> (for regional conferences, e.g., #ISPORDubai, #ISPORWarsaw)
We invite you to engage with us!
Are you involved with ISPOR Latin America Consortium activities but are not an ISPOR member yet?
Becoming a member of the professional society for health economics and outcomes research, (HEOR) has many advantages. Join ISPOR Now, and become part of a global collaborative HEOR community and contribute to improving health care decision making around the world!
Benefits of Membership:
- World-class, global scientific conferences
- MEDLINE®-indexed publications
- Knowledge products and online tools
- Awards and recognition
- Career development
ABOUT ISPOR LATIN AMERICA CONSORTIUM
The ISPOR Latin America Consortium is comprised of professionals interested in promoting health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) excellence to improve healthcare decision making in Latin America and globally. The Latin America consortium provides a platform for information-sharing and institutional collaboration on HEOR and health policy, facilitating professional networking opportunities through scientific activities and global ISPOR initiatives.
Have any questions or comments? firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the Latin America Working Committees:
- ISPOR Latin America Consortium Education Committee The role of the ISPOR Latin America Consortium Education Committee is to encourage, facilitate, and promote ISPOR educational programs in the region and support information sharing within ISPOR or the educational activities of the members.
- ISPOR Latin America Consortium Publications Committee The Consortium Publications Committee promotes the science of health economics and outcomes research in the region by working with ISPOR editors and staff in securing regional content for publication in Value in Health, Value in Health Regional Issues, and Value & Outcomes Spotlight. The committee is currently in the process of forming working groups to address: Chronic Condition Management- Focusing on Value Versus Volume, and Measuring Patient Outcomes & Identifying Patient Experiences, particularly in the Latin America setting. If you are interested in collaborating with these working groups, please email us at email@example.com for more information.
- ISPOR Latin America Consortium Health Technology Producers (Industry)Provides a platform for industry members to discuss issues important to health technology assessment, healthcare system development, and patient access to innovation in the region.
The committee is currently addressing the following issues through three workgroups:
- Evolution and use of value assessment frameworks in decision-making
- Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis (MCDA) as a tool for value assessment
- Challenges and opportunities around RWD and RWE in Latin America.
If you are interested in collaborating with the committee and would like to learn more about these workgroups, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.